Mud UK vs Iron Goat Dash Console - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Kang, if you ever actually start driving your truck again I want to see your dash install...I have an Alpine nav unit sitting in my garage that I removed from my F150 before it went bye bye and was thinking that I could sell it for a couple hundred bucks or just install in the 90. I am leaning towards installing in the 90 so I can have navigation without a suction cup that falls off my windshield after every bump!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wait...Kang actually DRIVES his truck? Crazy.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Notice I said "if"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I think that's a very liberal use of the word "again" in that statement too.
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Is it too much to search?

Old December 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
all my carputer and personal information on the hard drive is well protected from theft, and all I'm replacing is the touchscreen. very light as well.
Regardless all of your personal information should be secure on any computer you use.....
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Tkleis
Tim Kleiser
97 Defender 90

Does anyone know the brand of the dash console that Rovers North sells. I've been looking at theirs, but when I found Muds and Iron Goat I don't know which one to grab now. Any input on all three? If you have photos please share.
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I believe the RN and Iron Goat are one and the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkleis
Does anyone know the brand of the dash console that Rovers North sells. I've been looking at theirs, but when I found Muds and Iron Goat I don't know which one to grab now. Any input on all three? If you have photos please share.
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Bringing this post up from the past.

I'm making a plan to redo my interior and one of the thing I do not like about the stereo in the Tuffy that I have is I can't see any of the controls when it's light out and no top. At the same time I have some aux switches (Hella lamps, locker, future interior lights) and want to add Volt and Oil Pressure gauges.

Does anyone have the Iron Goat dash? I am leaning towards that over the MudUK one as the mounting looks a lot stronger and I like how the layout is smaller/clearner than the MudUK. If you have an Iron Goat and have some pics, please post. TIA.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:50 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Well before i choose the MUd dash i was planning to buy the iron goat. Because it looks more rigid. But when i was in the store holding both dashes in my hand i liked the MUd better. The number 1 reason was that i didn't like the pre made holes in the iron goat. For example they have 2 i think 2 inch round holes for gauges. But i have ni intention to use extra gauges. So i had to leave them open or fill them up with gauges i was not working. The MUD is in my opinion better because you can choose where you want to have the switches radio etc. Easier to install and it is still rigid because of the metal frame support.
Here is a picture of my MUD dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	58361  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:06 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeena river rover View Post
But when i was in the store holding both dashes in my hand ...
Must have been nice to check them both out. Who carries both IG and MUD?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:04 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I had an IG installed, then switch to the MUD. The IG is more rigid, but required more cutting of the dash pieces to fit, and didn't support double DIN. No cutting for MUD and it does double DIN.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Must have been nice to check them both out. Who carries both IG and MUD?
I believe Justin @ Lucky8 carries both products. At least I know he carries the Mud as that is where I got mine from and I discussed the IG with him.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
I had an IG installed, then switch to the MUD. The IG is more rigid, but required more cutting of the dash pieces to fit, and didn't support double DIN. No cutting for MUD and it does double DIN.
I thought you still had to cut lower dash tray with either installation?
I have an iron goat but I think I am going to get a mud. I'd like to keep all my gauges VDO. I was just planning on adding an oil pressure and egt, but I think I will add a boost as well. So that being said, the iron goat isnt going to work for me anymore.

The iron goat one is pretty sturdy thats for sure. I liked how it had some side supports built into the face for the radio. I imagine with the mud you have to fashion some kind of rear support? I'm interested to see what they look like side by side.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeena river rover View Post
Well before i choose the MUd dash i was planning to buy the iron goat. Because it looks more rigid. But when i was in the store holding both dashes in my hand i liked the MUd better. The number 1 reason was that i didn't like the pre made holes in the iron goat. For example they have 2 i think 2 inch round holes for gauges. But i have ni intention to use extra gauges. So i had to leave them open or fill them up with gauges i was not working. The MUD is in my opinion better because you can choose where you want to have the switches radio etc. Easier to install and it is still rigid because of the metal frame support.
Here is a picture of my MUD dash.
One of the reasons I like the Iron Goat is the fact that it has the pre-made holes for 2 guages which I am planning to put in. I think the recessed hole will look a lot better than if I just cut a hole on a Mud UK.

Thanks for the pic and the info. Your setup does look good.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
The double DIN of the Mud UK is indeed nice. My thinking (and who knows if I am right or wrong) is that in a soft top a double DIN would scream out "please eff with me" while a single DIN looks a little "meh, who gives a shit about that little radio".

The double DIN would be easier and have more options for things like NAV or video player.

------ Follow up post added October 2nd, 2012 11:32 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
I thought you still had to cut lower dash tray with either installation?
I have an iron goat but I think I am going to get a mud. I'd like to keep all my gauges VDO. I was just planning on adding an oil pressure and egt, but I think I will add a boost as well. So that being said, the iron goat isnt going to work for me anymore.

The iron goat one is pretty sturdy thats for sure. I liked how it had some side supports built into the face for the radio. I imagine with the mud you have to fashion some kind of rear support? I'm interested to see what they look like side by side.
If you are going to dump the Iron Goat one let me know.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
The double DIN of the Mud UK is indeed nice. My thinking (and who knows if I am right or wrong) is that in a soft top a double DIN would scream out "please eff with me" while a single DIN looks a little "meh, who gives a shit about that little radio".

The double DIN would be easier and have more options for things like NAV or video player.
Don, that is the exact reason that I went with the Mud...while it may beg for folks to mess with it, I love the convenience of an in dash navi unit. I do not drive my truck to worst neighborhoods around but have not had any problems so far (knock on wood). And as for holes, a 2" hole saw makes easy work for the gauge install...just go slow and they will look fine. I actually drilled out the two lower recessed areas on mine for the gauges I added
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have a car pc, so my 7" touch screen is in my MUD, and the actual PC is in my tuffy where theives can't get to it. A 7" touch screen with the back missing and a modified frame has no resale value for Obama's crack whore thief voting contingent.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I went with the Mud because the front is more of a blank canvas that allows you to do what you want. I also got a couple of spare fronts so I can switch stuff around later if I want to just by changing the front plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	58371  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I was getting ready to order the hazard switch from MudUK. How'd you like it? How was the wiring install?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
console, dash, mud