Mud and other dash stereo consoles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2013, 10:56 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Mud and other dash stereo consoles

I'm going to use an iPad Mini as my car stereo using a soundmanca.com sliding mount. I'm going to put it in the dash and lock the iPad Mini in the console when not in use. Reasons: I have no top on the truck 8 months out of the year and a visible double din radio would be a sitting duck for both theft and rain. This way, I'm looking at replacing a $10 usb-lightning cable if the area takes on water. I do want nav and don't want a vertical radio between the seats. The Ipad Mini slide mount has little depth or weight.

I've got access to an exceptional custom sheet metal shop locally. I've identified the following options:

1. Have the entire plastic piece that covers the vents made of aluminum and weld the sides to that new piece. I'd have a front piece that screws into a flange on the sides. I could paint that black, body color or some combination.

2. Have my own bracket made that connects where the factory vent shroud screws into.

3. Buy and modify either the mud or iron goat.

Biggest question: with the MUD consoles do you drill holes to mount the brackets or are you re-using existing factory holes? How strong is the resultant apparatus? Any thoughts on which approach I should take?

Thanks as always,
Amit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

I am doing the exact same thing except not using soundmans slider contraption(really just refuse to pay 199 for the thing). Using the Mud console, cutting out the large area where its obvious the mini should go and fiberglassing a more mechanical type swing door "keeper" over a form fit glass bed with nonskid rubber, etc. I know it doesn't make sense but I'm doing it with the help of a custom audio installer. Will have pictures this coming week I hope. All pieces are here just have to find the time and it wont go into the truck until early February.
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:39 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Ryan, please post pics. And please share any cool car apps you find for the iPad Mini. I've got a 1995 and none of the OBD II bluetooth apps work. I don't think they work on a 1997 either which is too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2013, 11:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844 View Post
Biggest question: with the MUD consoles do you drill holes to mount the brackets or are you re-using existing factory holes? How strong is the resultant apparatus? Any thoughts on which approach I should take?
Four holes must be drilled to mount the mud console bracket. There are no "factory holes" for the MUD UK console, at least not in early trucks.

The result is "strong enough" for what it is meant to do, but in the end it's just a plastic fascia screwed onto a steel bracket. Hang enough weight off of it and it is going to sag. Additional mounting bolts for the steel bracket help with stiffness.

If you have metalworking ability, there are other examples of some pretty wicked custom bent metal dashes out there.
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

I will be sure to post pictures of iPad mini installed as well as the "build" of the unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
console, dash, mud, stereo