MTD75D tranny oil - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

MTD75D tranny oil

I'm slowly going through my new to me 90 and replacing all the fluids and things that commonly break down with age. As is often recommended I am putting all synthetic oils in it in hopes that it will increase longevity. i want this thing to last.
Soooo, after doing a little research I read the advise that MTF75D oil is better for the LT77 than the DIII ATF. The thought of running ATF in a manual transmission was a shocker for me that I'm just not comfortable with so the MTF idea is attractive. But before I use it I thought I'd try to find out if anybody here has experience with it.
Has anybody here used the MTF75D, and what kind of difference has it made? Who supplies it in the states? Need some advise please guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I've been running Redline MTL in my R380's for 5 years or so. I get it at a speed shop in Atl. http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.aspx

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:38 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

not to hijack but- does anybody have any experience with pennzoil synchromesh fluid in the R380?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I haven't tried it. Had good results with the redline MTL, you can get it for $10/quart at the sunoco on the 5000 block or so of Lee Hwy in arlington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
not to hijack but- does anybody have any experience with pennzoil synchromesh fluid in the R380?
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ditto for Redline MTL...my truck had a really hard shift between 3rd and 4th (has an LT77) but with a fluid change to the Redline all is well. Ordered mine from an online speed shop for about $10/quart
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:18 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Mt75d

Thanks for the input guys. I read a comment on another forum that the Redline thinned out too much in hot weather in that guy's opinion. I guess from your comments that you've no similar complaint. What weight is the Redline? Does it at least stay thicker than ATF?
Brad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions