MSD Coil - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2007, 08:27 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Question MSD Coil

Has anyone replaced just the coil on their 3.9 with an MSD Blaster? There is all sorts of info here but not what I need. I read that if the resistance across the stock coil is 1.2 Ohms or less then I do not need a ballast resistor. The MSD coil measures identical to the stock Bosch so I installed without a resistor. I swapped the wires terminal for terminal and when I fired it up it ran very rich and smoky. I shut it down within ten seconds to prevent any damage. Has anyone done this changeout and what were your results and problems? I did this because I heard that the coil is one thing I should change. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I changed mine with the Mallory (same thing). They said on the phone that I didn't need the ballast resister because their coil had one built-in. Of course, mine did exactly what you are describing and got so hot you couldn't touch it. I added the ballast resister ($14 from Summit Racing) and it works absolutely great. Coil is now cool, spark strong, and the D runs superbly. My hypothesis is that the power put out feeding that circuit is either fluctuates more than most other vehicles or that our circuit requires slightly more power to the coil. In any event, this solved my problem.
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I am assuming that the resistor goes in line ( in series ) with the positive lead coming to the coil. Just like the diagram shows.
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I ran across this the other day.... Though this is NO HELP to you! It looks cool
http://www.performancedistributors.com/minivip.htm
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Yes it goes in series with the positive lead. Very simple to do. The resister is not side specific. Positive lead on one post, jumper from the 2nd post to the positive side of the coil.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

ditto on the Mallory and adding a extra ballast. Before I did that I exploded a Mallory while the dealer was adjusting computer settings (leaving them in the accessory position for awhile=lots more heat) I also put the distributor in.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
I ran across this the other day.... Though this is NO HELP to you! It looks cool
http://www.performancedistributors.com/minivip.htm
Jeeze.... $250 for a DC12V->DC18V conversion unit?????? Someone is making good money here.... I guess you need to pay those advertizing fees! ;-)
More seriously, if you energize your coil at 18V, that's a lot more energy that will go down the spark plugs, the distributor cap/rotor and the wires... They need to be stronger than stock or they will age a lot faster....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Jeeze.... $250 for a DC12V->DC18V conversion unit?????? Someone is making good money here.... I guess you need to pay those advertizing fees! ;-)
More seriously, if you energize your coil at 18V, that's a lot more energy that will go down the spark plugs, the distributor cap/rotor and the wires... They need to be stronger than stock or they will age a lot faster....
Look at the price of there distributers! nuf said. but cool idea
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have seen and used most all upgrades to electrical systems there are, from upgraded wires, coils, spark plugs, distributors, ect. IF you are changing from a perfectly operating system in a rover to an upgraded coil/sparkplug/wire/distributor I seriously doubt you will notice ANY change in any variable, including gas mileage. I have done upgrades on my 3.5 RRC, 3.9 D90, 4.0 SeriesII, and 4.9 D90 and, when did not notice shit. You will of course notice performance differences if you are upgrading because something went wrong and you improve it, of course. You will probably notice something if you talk yourself into noticing it because you just dumped a grand into improvements, but DO YOU REALLY NOTICE IT? I seriously doubt it--there are millions of dollars to convince you otherwise, though, and they are really good at showing you charts and graphs and arrows on the back of 8-1/2"x11" color photographs, but I doubt you will experience these improvements in a Rover.

Things that do work and you notice? Changing cams, gears, engine compression, displacement-- crap like that works. If anyone knows of things that really do work, from first hand knowledge, I would for one LOVE to know what they are.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Well, I added the ballast resistor and Elvis runs like a charm. He was running fine before with the old coil as well but I thought I would achnge it out anyway. I was hoping for a hotter spark giving me a cleaner more efficient burn. You're right. I didn't notice shit of a difference. The only thing that changed is that I now have a shiny new coil under the hood that says MSD and I have $65 less dollars in my bank account. I also have a spare coil for the trail. Original Land Rover too!!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

If you change the wires to a higher quality lower resistance wires you will have a stronger spark. However, you will still not notice a performance improvement. I personally found that mine ran smoother but there very well could have been a weak wire or coil as I changed the whole ignition system at once to Mallory. I do know for sure that there is massively less play in the Mallory distributor than the stock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil