Moving Warn Winch Solenoid control box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

Moving Warn Winch Solenoid control box

Just put an ARB bumper on my defender 110. Moved my Warn M10000 from my Series IIA to the defender.
I am tihinking about getting the control box out of the weather. I am thinking I would mount it under the Right seat box. Thought that I might add control and kill switch on the dash. Any ideas or pictures of this would be greatly appreciated.

Cwolfe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

I moved my control box off the winch as well and added a cut off switch in the seatbox after I read several reports that kids in the UK were free spooling the cable out and over the rover and shorting the control box which will cut the truck in half.

My control box in mounted on the inside of the driver fender well right behind the headlight. I have duel connection plugs. One on the front fender right between the marker light and turn signal and one on the dash. I also wired in a indicator light on the seatbox which lights when the cutoff switch is on. This makes it easy to winch others outside and use the inside plug for self recovery.

I would also suggest you get welding cable to make the power cables. It's the correct size, great power transfer and soft and flexible. Most welding shop sells it in 25 or 50' spools. Waytek wire makes great sealed connectors for the ends. Don't get the cheap style that just runs a clamp over the cable. Waytek also has a nice 3M label system to make all the wires as the welding cable is all black.

Sorry no specific pictures. I can take a few if you need some reference.

Cheers
Scott
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:38 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

What kind of cutoff switch is rated to carry the high current the winch requires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:54 PM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

Question

Thanks for Ideas. Will research cutoff switch at my interstate batty dealer. He is great resouce. Ordered my optima battery from him as well.
Cwolfe
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I use a marine cut-off switch. A lot of us do. Here is a link of sort of what I am talking about--there are many models and amperages--this came back quickest from google. I have mine mounted on the vertical of my seatbox to the side of the emergency brake (basically behind my calves when I drive). For me, position (1) is just battery, position (2) is battery and winch. That way, most the time there is no power to the solenoids. When I am off-roading, I switch it to both (2) ignition and solenoid hence powering the winch.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0001497012970a
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

That switch is rated for 360 amps (momentary). My winch calls for 440 amps, so I guess I need to start beating the bushes, or maybe sundog will come up with the answer.

------ Follow up post added May 18th, 2010 07:11 AM ------

Here is one example of an assortment of heavy duty switches available from Defender: <http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|51495|299265&id=812646>. Maybe the dogs and I will take a ride down there this afternoon and do a little shopping. It's always fun to pull into the Defender parking lot in a Defender, but it has never gotten me a discount.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, like I said, I was pointing out the "style", not the model, that came back quickest on a google search. Here is a 500Amp continuous rated that came back second fastest. Again, not recommending this one either (although it looks good) just pointing out what a lot of us use. Do your own search based on your own criteria--we get these at boat and RV shops, heck even Bass Pro Shops sell them. I got mine (600A) model off e-bay for $15.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=156404F

I saw someone use a very high rated solenoid relay from an ambulance that worked well (all electric)--it was expensive, though. Just another option. Here is an example of an electric one: http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=201621F
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

I used the welding wire from waytek and also the soldier in ends too........my 9.5xp box is in the engine bay but up near windshield......

I just wired in a on off switch ( old crusie switch) into the remote wiring......so no operation unless that switch is pushed in.........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin, winch