moving turn signals (new bumper) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

moving turn signals (new bumper)

I have searched. I used the 105 bulbs and the flasher ep26 (i think, I left the box at my shop). I wired the turn signals and the lower parking lights together. I get one click and that is it when attempting to use the signals.

Wiring is not my strongest point. I could use some help here on where I screwed up.

Thanks

------ Follow up post added January 21st, 2010 07:37 PM ------

Yes. I used the same flasher as others. I have parking lights but no turn signal flash at all. Just dead.

Kinda need to get it on the road by Saturday. Ideas before I try to reinvent the wheel again?

Thanks
And I love you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

You are trying to take the turn signals from a stock bumper and move them to the lower marker lights on the front yes? If so all you need to do is cut the wires from the lower lights and cut the wires from the turn signals and splice them together. Then take the bulb out of the bumper lights and stick them in the new turn signals.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You don't need to cut anything in a 93 110 or a 94 90.
The stuff all just unplugs and plugs in behind the headlight with Lucar connectors.

Pull the red wires from the lower (or upper if you like) and plug in the Green/white and Green/red wires into them and change the bulb to a 1156 and you are done.

If you are trying to make the stock light in the truck do "both" the turn signal and the parking light then that won't work unless you change the lamp to a double filament bulb type.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Thanks. Thats pretty much what I did. I did use a single filament bulb. I'll switch bulbs but I assume when the parking lights are not on, I should have flashing lights. I don't. I'll fiddle with it some more thisafternoon.
And I love you too
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
Thanks. Thats pretty much what I did. I did use a single filament bulb. I'll switch bulbs but I assume when the parking lights are not on, I should have flashing lights. I don't. I'll fiddle with it some more thisafternoon.
You can't make one bulb do the work of 2. It will back-feed into the system and not work.
The signal and the parking lights can't be tied together at all.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Mike is right. I used his recommendation when I moved mine and all is well. If you want the light to act as both your parking light and a signal, you need to purchase a Series Rover Tail Light assy and swap the lens to either White or Amber. Then you wire one filament to the parking light circuit and one to the turn signal circuit from the bumper lamp.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Thanks. Got everything working the way I want. Just fighting a dim headlight which I assume is ground related. Need to know what the common problem is other than it possibly being the plug itself. Mike, your a lucky guy. You get to have a fun job.
And I love you too
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:47 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm trying to figure out a way to get this to work with my LED parking light conversion. I'd like to keep the LEDs because my incandescents burned out regularly but I've yet to burn anything out after switching to LED.

Here are the two problems that come to mind:

Problem #1: As Mike pointed out, I would need to use dual-filament bulbs. Fortunately, superbrightleds.com sells dual-filament LEDs. I would use something like the 1157-A19. The problem is the socket. I would need to change out the socket for a dual contact unit. Has anybody done this? I believe that the correct socket is the 1157 BAY15D type. Thoughts?

Problem #2: I've heard that the LED bulbs don't work well with the flasher relays but that there's apparently some way to fix this. I think ECR uses a "variable load flasher relay". Mike, if you're reading this, would this work for the front flashers, too?

------ Follow up post added March 9th, 2010 09:57 PM ------

Also, is this the correct relay?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...CF13GL-02.html
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Chris, read my post above. Replace the whole lamp housing. George at RDS has them. I was going to link you to them, but he doesn't have them featured on his site right now. If you haven't, I would order all new lens' from him as well, the new ones make the truck look so much better. You don't notice how cloudy and grungy they have become until you see new ones.

The relay that ECR uses is the correct one. I don't know if the one you linked to is it or not. I haven't sorted this out on mine yet, but I need to get the correct relay as well.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Chris, read my post above. Replace the whole lamp housing. George at RDS has them. I was going to link you to them, but he doesn't have them featured on his site right now. If you haven't, I would order all new lens' from him as well, the new ones make the truck look so much better. You don't notice how cloudy and grungy they have become until you see new ones.

The relay that ECR uses is the correct one. I don't know if the one you linked to is it or not. I haven't sorted this out on mine yet, but I need to get the correct relay as well.
Andrew, I must have missed your post, thanks for pointing it out. Yes, that sounds like another good possibility. The Series housing is a little larger, I think. I think that I can get a new headlight surround to accommodate the larger lamps. I kind of prefer the look of the original parking lamps but since I'm installing a Brownchurch brush guard, that may be a moot point. I'm pretty sure that the brush guard will obscure the smaller lamps.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Chris, they are the same size. In fact, they are identical from the outside, only the socket itself is different. Here are a couple pics of them on my 110 so that you can see how they look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	25646   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	25647  

Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	25648  
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I bought a relay tonight at Advance. It's made by Tridon and is an EP35 type. It seems to work just fine, although it does not have the fourth (C2) pin. I believe that this pin is used to blink the trailer indicator in the binnacle when the hazard switch is engaged. With this new relay, the hazard bulbs blink properly but there's no indication in the binnacle. I want to fix this. I was looking at the relay that ECR mentions on their site (CF13GL-02) but I think that it, too, only has three pins. I'm curious if the binnacle trailer indicator illuminates with the ECR relay. I found what appears to be the correct four-pin relay here:

http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/4-pin1...60w-p-181.html

That's going to be pretty pricey to bring over, though. Maybe there's a stateside source for these...

I still haven't decided on what route to take with the turn indicators up front. I could:

- go with the two-amber two-clear plastic setup that you have

- convert to the glass lenses that older trucks (Series III?) have, two amber, two clear.

- stick with the all-amber LED setup I have now but convert the sockets to dual contacts and run dual filament amber LEDs.

- convert to the larger (Euro?) housings and vented surrounds like John Lee is running

------ Follow up post added March 16th, 2010 08:02 PM ------

I also considered modifying my stock relay to accept the LEDs. It turns out that the Land Rover relays use a variant of a fairly standard Atmel U6043B IC to control the relay. The IC has a built-in detection circuit for burned out bulbs. When the current draw of the bulbs drops below a configured limit, the circuit blinks the bulbs at double-speed. The lower draw of the LEDs is sufficient to trigger this behavior. It should be possible to modify the circuit board to fix this but unfortunately, Land Rover (or Lucas) seems to have used a shitty Chinese variant of the Atmel IC and this IC seems to behave differently. The Atmel IC uses a resistor on pin 7 to control the triggering of the burn-out detection circuit. Pin 7 of the stock relay has no resistor attached to it as far as I can tell. So, I'm unsure of how to modify it.

Picture and details here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defender90/4439179957/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, signal, vin