Moving to Utah - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Moving to Utah

Hi Everyone,

Well, it looks like I might be moving back to Park City, Utah. I used to live there back in the day, before I owned a Defender, and I have some questions for you Utahans and the rest of the Mountain folk.

First off, are there any active Land Rover clubs in the Utah Valley area? We have a great club here in San Antonio and I hope to find something similar up there.

What about local mechanics? Is there anybody who knows the Defenders well and charges reasonable rates? I like to do my own maintenance but for some things, it would be nice to know some local folks.

About rust protection...how can I protect my nearly rust-free baby from the salty winter roads? I plan on getting a set of the stainless steel bolts for the doors and hood, but what about the underbody? Is a waxoyl treatment sufficient? Will I still want to rinse it every day? How do you folks rinse your vehicles' underbodies when its -10 deg F outside? Do I need to buy a power washer? Finally, where can I get the underbody steam cleaned, in preparation for a waxoyl treatment? Is Waxoyl something that can be done (and done right) by an amatuer such as I?

What other maintenance needs to be done in preparation for cold weather operation?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Don't know about any independents there but we always have had good work done on the D90 by the stealer in Centerville.
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:08 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
A few years ago I bought a 1988 RRC from Cheech Marin of Cheech and Chong fame. It was kept in Park City and used to pick up guests from the airport and grocery getter. It had 32k original miles on it, original tires etc... I was very suprised how little rust there was on the vehicle. The worst rust was on the brush bar up front but that was it. You might not have too much trouble with rust. One thing I do to my truck now is climb under it with a can of WD40 and start at the front and work my way back spraying all bare metal. I do this about 3 times a year and it seems to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
m.olivares
marc olivares

chris,

for local mechanics i trust...i'd call Clark @ Regent Street
or talk to Allen Johnson @ Centerville LR.

i do all the work on my stuff, but if i were to have anyone work on my stuff, it would be these two.
make sure if Centerville does any work for you, you ask for Allen by name, he's the best they have.

also try Mike @ Roverland, i personally have never used him, but he comes recommended by some friends that use him regularly.

as for clubs, there is a local club loosly connected to GBR, that Craig Hansel and family orchestrates.
as well as a bunch of small groups that frequently do trips locally (most of which are posted on Dweb).

RUST...Hmmm i just rinse mine off after storms blow through, and typically at the local pay-n-spray.
i have a spray washer, but during winter, they tend to be a pain.
spray waxoil from Rovers North is what i use, once a year, and it seems to do a fine job.
WD works good too on all the axle and steering bits...

welcome back
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:39 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Yeah, welcome back!!

I second Marc's recommendation on Reagent Street. They do good work and know their stuff.

As for the rust, I don't think you have to worry about it as much as you think, what you should worry about is any mud that gets stuck, that's where the nasty rust happens. When mud (laden with water) sits on metal, the oxygen seeps in and starts to do the dirty work and rust starts. If you keep it washed and rinsed well, you don't have to worry about structural rust all that much. Waxoyl is a very good option though. I personally like POR-15 too for the bits that you can reach with a brush.

Don't know much about a rover club, but there is a good 4x4 club that I know some people from here's a link to it. http://www.slc4x4.com/

I've hooked up with them for a trail run before and they're all good guys and fun to hang out with, not many rovers though. Although Russ sometimes shows up with his yellow 90.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:43 AM
m.olivares
marc olivares

hey brad, hows the project coming along? school?
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:47 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Thanks, everyone, for the information. I'm looking forward to meeting you all once I'm settled in.

On another (off-topic) note, does anybody know the Utah state gun laws? Can I bring my handguns?

/
/
/
/
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Welcome to the Rocky mtn. west states, Chris. The most gun owner friendly region of the country in my opinion. In Utah you can even get your CCW by mail, and its honored in CO, WY, ID, MT, and AZ.
bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html

Cheers,
Rod
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Marc,
The project is coming along, albeit not as fast as I would like. The engine is settled into the new frame, and almost all of the suspecsion pieces are hooked up. So it's coming along. Do you have those lower rear shock mounts? You can email me directly so we don't steal this thread.
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:01 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

What weight of engine oil do you folks run? A friend of mine recommended 5W30 but looking at the service manual, it seems that this might be way too thin. Would 10W30 be a safer bet for Northern Utah?

/
/
/
/
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

I usually run it a little thicker. I don't go thinner than 10w30 and in summer I do 10w40. The 10 cold viscosity is generally fine for around here. We don't ever get THAT cold.
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:53 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, guys, but can somebody confirm that this is the "Regent Street" of which y'all speak:

Regent Street Svc
(801) 487-6077
1190 S State St
Salt Lake City, UT

I can't find any information about them on the Intarweb, other than this yellow pages listing.

I gotta call them up and make an appointment for a radiator repair so that I can get it done as soon as I hit town. I have a major leak from the bottom corner.

thanks again,

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:01 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Chris,
That sounds like the one. That's about the address that it's located at, so I can't imagine that it would be the wrong place. If you go there, you'll know you're at the right place when you see tricked out D-90's and Rangies. They're are some pretty good ones that they have there sometimes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin