Moving to San Francisco Registration question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Moving to San Francisco Registration question

After being out of the D-90 game for a bit (mine has been stored for the last 18 months) It looks like I am moving to San Francisco. I have been told that it is super hard to get a car to pass the exhaust standards in Cali, but I know there are a lot of Cali d-90s.

Can anyone tell me the issues I should be aware of? All input is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm no expert, but check if you have any current exemptions. Most states have exemptions based on age.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:05 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
i bought my 90 from arizona and brought back to california - passed smog no problem - they did not even do the test with the wheels spinning because of the all wheel drive -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2010, 01:27 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

The truck should have been legal for all 50 states so I doubt you'll have any problems unless you did some mods that have drastically affected the emissions.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:21 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am no cali expert, but if it is like the other states, a pre OBD-II truck (95 on down) is subject to a sniffer test and since defenders are permanent 4x4, they just run at idle and then 2000rpm and not under load on the rollers. Around here, a truck will pass without anything left in the cats and/or with a check engine light on (which might flunk a visual inspection but you can always pull the bulb). Short of a bad dead miss, they seem to all pass.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Having owned five rovers that were registered in three states (VA, AZ, MA), never had any issues with emission inspection. The last one was a NAS 93 110 with 35K miles. Went through Phoenix area emission with no issues. In fact, it registered no measurable emissions on one of the two tests run at idle (and stationary). I would just test it to see if there are any problems. Alternatively, you might want to change the plugs and put in new plug wires and other minor maintenance items, then test and see what you have.
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:03 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Just be prepared for higher DMV fees than you were used to.

Fortunately, registration fees will be the least of your worries compared to the cost of living shell shock you'll experience in SF.
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

looks like most covered it. Interesting comment from Jay about not doing the roller test because of 4x4. That would be nice. I had a 97 bmw, OBD 1, that they retroactively made pass that roller test. It was a close thing everytime - so much so, I sold the car. If you don't pass, CA can be a real pain.

But when I did have my 94 here, it was no problem - as said, they are all 50 state cars(the emissions tag will state this). Hopefully, you are still stock, so you can pass the visual (ie: you still have your cats)

reg will probably be around $150 a year or less. Great thing about his place- cars just don't rust. They barely age. I'm about 12 miles from you if you need any help....
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I just registered my 97 here in southern cal last year. If the truck is in good working condition its no problem. You have to get it SMOG tested and since it is permanent 4 wheel drive truck they only test the emissions at several rpm levels, test the gas cap, and then if it passes you get a certificate that you take to the DMV. Be prepared so pay $$$ to smog and register it. I paid 5x the fees to get it registered as the last place I lived.

One piece of advice, make sure the check engine light is not on and that you don't have any emission issues because if you fail its a real pain after that.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Registration

I am in the SF bay area and AM a third owner orginally CO truck. CA has two levels of smog. The standard check and what is called "test only" which for vehicles deemed likely to be higher emissions (ie older vehicles). Your truck is grandfathered to standards at the time it was built so you will be able to pass if it is in tolerance and well maintained.

Recently to reregister mine ('95 NAS) I had to take it to a test only facility. It failed not once but twice. In my case the timing was a few degrees off they thought and the gas cap didn't properly seal. Back to my mechanic and finally resolved it.

One thing to note is that test only facilities will say that if you fail the second test is free. Ha! Make sure you read the fine print as they are all sleazy and basically work to screw you over. I would suggest that you have a good LR mechanic go over the vehicle first and tune it if you haven't had it done for awhile and pay particular attention to the timing and ignition settings.

If you will be in the bay area I can suggest a few places that are very good. Hope that was not too much information.

Welcome to the Golden State!
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I should say that I did exactly as he said to do. Shortly after getting my truck to CA I had it serviced and tuned so I had no doubt it would pass. Its easier to get it serviced and pass then have it fail and then deal with the consequences and getting re-smogged, etc...
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
I had the same question, but i wouldnt worry about it at all if i were you. They cant do the wheel test, and I only had to replace the o-ring on my gas cap (beats ordering another locking gas cap).

I went here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/california-t...%20test%20only
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Matt, just have them run a pre-test to see how close you are to passing. That way if you are what they call a gross polluter you wont get reg flagged by the state. Your truck wont be in the system and you can fix the problems and then test it. PM me if you need a good smog shop that will do this for you. I have a friend that does smog in Burlingage that will pretest for you. He is about 20 to 25 min from downtown SF.
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
csidriver
Rick S
1994 D90

Matt,
If you have to get your D90 tuned up and roadworthy, have your local Rover mechanic do it there. I would assume labor rates are cheaper than the bay area stealership and repairshops in the "Bay Area" . The dealers run around $125.00 per hour or more! Also if you need to replace your catalytic converter(s), in California the Cats need to be C.A.R.B. complient. Most if not all of the standard bolt-on cats in the market are only 49 state legal.... at least I have not found any. I had to get universal C.A.R.B. compliant cats welded on my D90. Good luck and welcome to the Peoples Republic of California. Happy trails.
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by csidriver View Post
Matt,
Also if you need to replace your catalytic converter(s), in California the Cats need to be C.A.R.B. complient. Most if not all of the standard bolt-on cats in the market are only 49 state legal.... at least I have not found any. I had to get universal C.A.R.B. compliant cats welded on my D90. Good luck and welcome to the Peoples Republic of California. Happy trails.
Did they actually climb under and check your Cats, or,
you just could not buy any Cats in CA that were not C.A.R.B. compliant? (forgive the double negative.)
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
How long are you planning on staying? Do you own property elsewhere?

-Jeff

Looks like this is going to be a permanent move.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2010 08:49 PM ------

Wow,

Thanks for all the replies, I will know in the next two weeks if the wife and I are moving. It is a work related relocation so still have a few issues to work out. I am going to negotiate the tax and registration fees into my relo package. My D-90 is low mileage with only 53,000 in the clock and just came out of a major rebuild due to the famous oil cooler line fire.

I will be hitting up the locals if this goes through for a good shop and also local rides and what not.

Again, thanks for the info

Matt...
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:16 AM
csidriver
Rick S
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
Did they actually climb under and check your Cats, or,
you just could not buy any Cats in CA that were not C.A.R.B. compliant? (forgive the double negative.)
I had a rattle in my passenger side Cat. So I thought I was better off in the long run, replacing the Y-pipe, and I could bolt it on myself. Come to find out, most of the places I looked at did not deliver C.A.R.B. compliant Y-pipes to CA. It ws not legal. So I ended up having to settle for a C.A.R.B. compliant universal Cats that had to be welded on. As far as if they actually look for the C.A.R.B. compliant stickers on a CAT, I have not had the pleasure yet of finding out. Maybe someone out there has....?
The other question is, does anyone sell C.A.R.B. compliant Y-pipes for a D-90.
Sorry for Hi-jackling your thread Matt.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by csidriver View Post
I had a rattle in my passenger side Cat. So I thought I was better off in the long run, replacing the Y-pipe, and I could bolt it on myself. Come to find out, most of the places I looked at did not deliver C.A.R.B. compliant Y-pipes to CA. It ws not legal. So I ended up having to settle for a C.A.R.B. compliant universal Cats that had to be welded on. As far as if they actually look for the C.A.R.B. compliant stickers on a CAT, I have not had the pleasure yet of finding out. Maybe someone out there has....?
The other question is, does anyone sell C.A.R.B. compliant Y-pipes for a D-90.
Sorry for Hi-jackling your thread Matt.
Mike, the parts manager at LR westchester in PA, was able to get some genuine (and therefore CARB compliant) y-pipes a while back for a good price which helped a cali member or two.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin