Moving Radiator Back. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2010, 11:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Moving Radiator Back.

Has anyone done brackets/work to move the radiator backwards? It looks like I need to gain about 3" of clearance or so in front of it due to a conflict between my FMIC and winch mounting location and I'm wondering what others have done in similar situations.

The next object physically in the way is the steering box so there is plenty of room to do it. I just don't have things re-assembled to the point where I could sort out exactly the best approach to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have moved tdi radiators around to install full width intercoolers or A/C. What is an FMIC ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 26th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
3 inches is alot. You can move the pins on the frame and get an inch. Then you need to add some 2" extensions bolted or welded to the existing mounts. Maybe some angle to hold it at the top. Or just cut your losses and get lesser bumper. My Rockware keeps the winch out front of the grill but still has a great approach angle. They certainly seem good enough for many of the more experienced "4x4 users" amongst us. FMIC = eFfing Massive Inter Cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Has anyone done brackets/work to move the radiator backwards? It looks like I need to gain about 3" of clearance or so in front of it due to a conflict between my FMIC and winch mounting location and I'm wondering what others have done in similar situations.

The next object physically in the way is the steering box so there is plenty of room to do it. I just don't have things re-assembled to the point where I could sort out exactly the best approach to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
FMIC = eFfing Massive Inter Cooler?
How could anything be larger than the one I was running on the 200 tdi ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 26th, 2010, 05:41 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

AlliSport "Front Mounted Intercooler".

I would rather not cut/weld the chassis so I guess the best option is to do a new rad surround that is deeper and allows sliding the rad back and also provides a mounting location (proper one) for the intercooler. I think I can move the intercooler up a bit so may not need to move things back as far as I thought. Guess I need to order the winch and sort it then.

Old February 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
i doubt his is larger. but he is using a superior bumper that causes one to chop up the bodywork in order to join the elite subculture of extra-super-steep-approach-angled-defender owners

personally I think the Equipe-style bumpers look out of place on a land rover, and completely ruin the aesthetics of the front end. I'm even more suspicious of the knock off imitators of them commonly offered in the UK. A rockware is a much better setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
How could anything be larger than the one I was running on the 200 tdi ?
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Looking at your pictures of your build I do not see where the problem would be? It looks like your intercooler will sit well behind the stock grill and the bumper looks like the winch will be placed in front of the grill?

If the bumper places the winch so far back that it has to be behing the grill I would consider a new bumper rather than messing with the location of the radiator. There are many things to consider when moving the location of the radiator such as the fan, the shroud and the fact that you might have cooling issues based on how you address the items mentioned.

Not worth it IMHO considering there are some great bumpers that do not create such an issue.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Well, I like this setup, just wondering if others have dealt with similar issues. There is quite a space between a 200TDI and the radiator so space is not at all an issue. It has a Kenlowe fan and I was in the process of building a shroud when I decided to put the bumper on first and noticed the issue. Will see how things sit with a winch in place anyway.

The original plan was to make a bumper and I may still do that. I do like the tubular ones, personal preference I guess but I would actually rather it be even more close fitting and straight across. I am doing my own grille out of something other than plastic anyway, same idea/look as the stock one but with mounts for extra lights built in (like the Hella 90mm recessed lamps) and out of something that will take a rock without it going through the intercooler and radiator.

If nobody else has done something similar I'll figure it out. It may just all fit when I slide the intercooler up a bit higher and see how far forward the winch can mount, the holes do look like they're a few inches further back than they really need to be. It may actually be easier just to fit an alloy radiator/cooler as it would be quite a bit thinner than the stock one and allow the intercooler to move back. I'm not a fan of the brackets AlliSport provided for the intercooler either so need to address that at the same time.

Old February 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Well, I like this setup, just wondering if others have dealt with similar issues. There is quite a space between a 200TDI and the radiator so space is not at all an issue. It has a Kenlowe fan and I was in the process of building a shroud when I decided to put the bumper on first and noticed the issue. Will see how things sit with a winch in place anyway.

The original plan was to make a bumper and I may still do that. I do like the tubular ones, personal preference I guess but I would actually rather it be even more close fitting and straight across. I am doing my own grille out of something other than plastic anyway, same idea/look as the stock one but with mounts for extra lights built in (like the Hella 90mm recessed lamps) and out of something that will take a rock without it going through the intercooler and radiator.

If nobody else has done something similar I'll figure it out. It may just all fit when I slide the intercooler up a bit higher and see how far forward the winch can mount, the holes do look like they're a few inches further back than they really need to be. It may actually be easier just to fit an alloy radiator/cooler as it would be quite a bit thinner than the stock one and allow the intercooler to move back. I'm not a fan of the brackets AlliSport provided for the intercooler either so need to address that at the same time.
Don't let anyone poop in your oatmeal. I did exactly what you are talking about in order to fit my winch behind the grill and get a 90 degree approach angle. Here is what it looks like now:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...kon35s/126.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...kon35s/024.jpg

I welded extensions with angle iron to the bottom brackets to move the radiator back 2.5in. I then made new upper brackets that also hold the hood pins. On mine the radiator went back so far that I had to notch the radiator surround to not rub on the PS lines. I then shortened all the hoses. Came out very clean with an electric fan. I highly recommend it as there is a lot of waisted space in there. I ran this setup with and without the stock fan shroud. I highly recommend ditching the shroud though as getting to everything for trail fixes is 10 times easier. Cheers.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:26 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I do not think anyone is trying to poop on his oatmeal

Just trying to point out that once you start moving the radiator around and messing with the cooling system that there can be issues and things that you need to take into account.

I am sure you understand that

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...3&postcount=15

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8&postcount=25

When all is said and done Andrew has a long full bodied heavy ass 110, how much will the approach angle really matter with the departure angle of a school bus?
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I do not think anyone is trying to poop on his oatmeal

Just trying to point out that once you start moving the radiator around and messing with the cooling system that there can be issues and things that you need to take into account.

I am sure you understand that

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...3&postcount=15

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8&postcount=25

When all is said and done Andrew has a long full bodied heavy ass 110, how much will the approach angle really matter with the departure angle of a school bus?
Those issued had NOTHING to do with moving the radiator. I ran with a mechanical fan for 2 years after I moved the radiator back. I only switched to an electric fan after I broke my mechanical one and wanted to save some money. And the EGT's ended up to have nothing to do with no fan shroud. It turned out to be a bummed fuel filter of all things.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

After taking a closer look I have a plan. I am just going to replicate the stock rad frame but make it about 2" deeper than the stock one which will get the clearance I need. Then bolt a crossbar across bottom to fit the higher mounting pins of the intercooler and a top crossbar to bolt the front top mounts to in order to provide a more secure fitting.

I will sketch up what I mean and see how basic it can be and do the job.

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:53 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Buck, good call on a simple spacer. What I did is:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=544610503

About as simple as it can get. If I do another one though I'll replicate the entire bottom channel and do it a bit thicker but that just means getting a brake here in the shop, which I hope to do sometime soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, radiator, vin