Moving brake calipers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Moving brake calipers

Question:
I'm installing new pads and rotors on all corners. How would you guys suggest on moving the calipers out of the way? The front brakelines are attached to a bracket on top of the swivel housing. Would you remove the two bolts from the bracket - or - disconnect the hardline from the caliper? Also, what about the rears? Is there enough flex in the brakeline to move the rear calipers out of the way? I'd like to avoid cracking open any lines...

Cheers...

BTW...I did read Bill Burkes article on the front brakelines, i.e. cutting a slot in the braket to move the brakeline for future repairs. Good idea, however to make the slot, the flexline must be removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have a piece of 10 gauge copper (since it is stiff and easily bent), a coat hanger or a big zip tie and, when I remove the caliper, I hang it off the spring above the mount. I don't disconnect my lines. I do this carefully, of course, with as minimal flexing as possible and I have never had an issue.
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

From what I've seen the most suggested method is slotting the bracket so you can pull it out the top any time you need to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Question

Thanks guys. Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse but...
What about the front? Do you just remove the two bolts holding the bracket (circled in red)? These bolts fasten the top swivel pin in place. The manual states to disconnect the lines

Cheers...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Front Brakeline bracket.bmp (639.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: bmp Front Brakeline bracket_2.bmp (685.9 KB, 50 views)
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
jack SF
jack baran
95 ST yellow

DAVIS way is easiest.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have done the removal of the 2 bolts before. Works fine. The only trick is to put a jack under the swivel so that when you remove the bolts, the assembly does not drop down and put pressure on the swivel seal and ruin it.

Its simple. Remove the 17mm bolts, then hange the caliper out of the way with the coat hanger or wire.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2010 06:53 AM ------

in the rear there is enough play in the hard line to just move it up a bit by uncliping the hard lines from the axle tube..
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
I have done the removal of the 2 bolts before. Works fine. The only trick is to put a jack under the swivel so that when you remove the bolts, the assembly does not drop down and put pressure on the swivel seal and ruin it.

Its simple. Remove the 17mm bolts, then hange the caliper out of the way with the coat hanger or wire.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2010 06:53 AM ------

in the rear there is enough play in the hard line to just move it up a bit by uncliping the hard lines from the axle tube..
TDI Guy,

Thanks. Good idea using the jack. That was my plan; it's good to know it's been done before with success. I'll just re-install the two bolts to the swivel pin housing immediately after the caliper is secure and out of the way to avoid any droopng...wish me luck...

Cheers...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, vin