Mounting options for an mag extreme rtt - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 3rd, 2015, 06:53 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Looking to see if anyone is using a maggiolina extreme rooftop tent (small) and what method you used to mount it? Just bought a second hand one and trying to figure out the best way to make it work. Bonus would be if anyone can tell me if it fits in a sd basket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:00 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Do you have a 90? Get rid of the rack. I had my Air Top mounted to my Front Runner rack (which I assume is much lighter than your basket) but I ended up changing it to use 3 Front runner slats instead and it made a big difference in terms of handling. Keep it as light as you can up there.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:02 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Yup it's a 90... Are those gutter mounted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

They are. Do you have a roll cage?
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:38 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Just the Nas one. I've always been afraid of gutter mounted racks. I go through low overhang forest growth (British Columbia Canada ) and I'm afraid that a gutter mount system would peel back my roof for me. Is this crazy?
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'd say that's very unlikely, perhaps even impossible. I have 4 feet that are gutter mount and two feet upfront that clamp to the cage so it's a non issue. Also if you use limb risers to get the branches to slide over the rack you're in good shape.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:03 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Do you have a 90? Get rid of the rack. I had my Air Top mounted to my Front Runner rack (which I assume is much lighter than your basket) but I ended up changing it to use 3 Front runner slats instead and it made a big difference in terms of handling. Keep it as light as you can up there.
I was just looking at their site and it looks like the slats were made to work in conjunction with their rack... Am I missing something?

Okay... I see the kit to convert them to load bars...
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:32 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I was just looking at their site and it looks like the slats were made to work in conjunction with their rack... Am I missing something?

Okay... I see the kit to convert them to load bars...
You can always email the NW Authome Dealer and see if they know about mounting to a Defender…

Oh, wait, we are the NW Autohome dealer and a Frontrunner dealer as well - so in essence my answer is going to be the same thing I told carl to do. Frontrunner load bars and risers, one frontrunner maggiolina mount kit. Not to mention that we have all that in stock if you are coming down to WA any time soon…

And no it does not fit into a standard SD basket (but not by much) Width on a small is still wider than the top of the alpine windows - medium is the same as the roof rail.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Under products > roof load bar kits. My next suggestion was going to be to order them from Defenders Northwest.
Quote:
I was just looking at their site and it looks like the slats were made to work in conjunction with their rack... Am I missing something? Okay... I see the kit to convert them to load bars...
Old August 3rd, 2015, 10:51 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
You can always email the NW Authome Dealer and see if they know about mounting to a Defender… Oh, wait, we are the NW Autohome dealer and a Frontrunner dealer as well - so in essence my answer is going to be the same thing I told carl to do. Frontrunner load bars and risers, one frontrunner maggiolina mount kit. Not to mention that we have all that in stock if you are coming down to WA any time soon...
Awesome... Always love talking to the experts! (Thanks manimal btw)

Have you ever seen an extreme mounted to/ in a oem sd basket?

I've got a LE and want to keep my rear ladder assembly on which means I need to link it to one of my basket support bars since the basket is the stressed member and that will come off most likely... I have bars to do so but they won't directly support the weight of a loaded tent... Pretty sure the front two basket supports and the rear ladder assembly will handle the weight (as they are what supports the basket) ... Do you have a setup that will allow the mag to mount directly to those?

As for the risers... How/where do they mount?
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Awesome... Always love talking to the experts! (Thanks manimal btw)

Have you ever seen an extreme mounted to/ in a oem sd basket?

I've got a LE and want to keep my rear ladder assembly on which means I need to link it to one of my basket support bars since the basket is the stressed member and that will come off most likely... I have bars to do so but they won't directly support the weight of a loaded tent... Pretty sure the front two basket supports and the rear ladder assembly will handle the weight (as they are what supports the basket) ... Do you have a setup that will allow the mag to mount directly to those?

As for the risers... How/where do they mount?
Tent will not fit in the basket without cutting the basket or the tent…

And the short version is yes - have a solution in mind connecting the ladder/front tabs and then using frontrunner crossbars (not gutter mounted) - alternately the frontrunner risers if sized correctly may work separately and not affect the ladder or front cage sections. We should have an LE in the shop later this week and I can measure and mock up the mounting to verify that the span is within range.
Old August 4th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Tent will not fit in the basket without cutting the basket or the tent…

And the short version is yes - have a solution in mind connecting the ladder/front tabs and then using frontrunner crossbars (not gutter mounted) - alternately the frontrunner risers if sized correctly may work separately and not affect the ladder or front cage sections. We should have an LE in the shop later this week and I can measure and mock up the mounting to verify that the span is within range.

Awesome.. will give me an excuse to make the trip to come down there and see you guys!
Old August 7th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
We should have an LE in the shop later this week and I can measure and mock up the mounting to verify that the span is within range.

Any luck with this?
Old August 7th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Any luck with this?
I think he may have made chief and is busy this week… May have to wait until we get back from vacation. We had talked about a solution using the frontrunner crossbars attached to the rear ladder mounting points and the front basket tabs - what I don't know is the position and span between them to verify that the distance is within range on the tent (fore to aft location and spread)
Old August 7th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
I think he may have made chief and is busy this week… May have to wait until we get back from vacation. We had talked about a solution using the frontrunner crossbars attached to the rear ladder mounting points and the front basket tabs - what I don't know is the position and span between them to verify that the distance is within range on the tent (fore to aft location and spread)
When is your vacation?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions