Mounting inward facing benches - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:21 PM
rustydanna
Rusty D'Anna
1994 Defender 90

Mounting inward facing benches

I just bought a '94 Defender 90 and am new to this site. As such, I have an almost embarassing question. My truck came with a single jumpseat in the back and I am going to replace it with a bench on each side. ** Stupid question alert** - is it as simple as it seems to mount the benches? Just bolt to the bottom and side? Reason I ask is that I dont want to mount to the wrong spot and either damage the truck, or worse, make them unsafe. Any suggestions (including telling me to stop overthinking it and just mount the damn things!) are welcome and appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

What part of town are you in? I can help you one day. Plus, it would be nice to get another 90 in our LR Club.

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydanna View Post
Reason I ask is that I dont want to ... make them unsafe.

IMO you're nuts to think about using inward facing seats. They are a hazard for any passenger at any speed above a crawl. Be smart and use the forward facing bench or alternatively get one of the forward facing seats that mount on either wheel well, not the inward facing bench seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
rustydanna
Rusty D'Anna
1994 Defender 90

I'm in Buckhead/Brookhaven
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
IMO you're nuts to think about using inward facing seats. They are a hazard for any passenger at any speed above a crawl. Be smart and use the forward facing bench or alternatively get one of the forward facing seats that mount on either wheel well, not the inward facing bench seats.
yea whatever... a lot of people would say you're nuts for driving a Defender which is inherently unsafe on it's own...

If you're going to be the Safety Nazi then go buy a Mini Van

Unsafe at any speed? so are bicycles... hell they don't have seat belts at all!!! and you think your little helmet is going to help? not for anything over 5mph... go sit in a padded room so you don't get hurt

installation is fairly straight forward, I think the jump seats are probably more versital and comfortable but I'm running the benches...
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:13 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The inward bench seats are a cruel joke on the part of Land Rover to make the tiny D90 into a nine passenger vehicle for Road Tax evasion purposes. They are uncomfortable, and dangerous

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
I just bought a '94 Defender 90 and am new to this site. As such, I have an almost embarassing question. My truck came with a single jumpseat in the back and I am going to replace it with a bench on each side. ** Stupid question alert** - is it as simple as it seems to mount the benches? Just bolt to the bottom and side? Reason I ask is that I dont want to mount to the wrong spot and either damage the truck, or worse, make them unsafe. Any suggestions (including telling me to stop overthinking it and just mount the damn things!) are welcome and appreciated. Thanks a lot.
The bench mounting itself would be straight forward, but there are other factors to consider, such as seat belt mounting anchors and perhaps rear speaker box interference.

If you are considering using the factory 4 jumpseat configuration as found on an NAS SW, the seat back mounting on those is not quite a direct bolt in. There are flat offset bars mounted to the tub rail to accomodate the bolt spacing on the individual rear seat backs. Not a big deal to fab those.

Finally, and this isn't a big factor to most of the Board, but if originality is at all important to you, that may be something to consider as well.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Hey Rusty, forgot to add, welcome to the board. It's a great place, even though a few folks are a bit sensitive now and again. Inward facing benches are easy to bolt up, but make up your own mind.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
rustydanna
Rusty D'Anna
1994 Defender 90

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try to tackle it this weekend. Will let yall know how it goes. I'll likely be back for more suggustions
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try to tackle it this weekend. Will let yall know how it goes. I'll likely be back for more suggustions
wanna sell your forward facing and the belts, I have two inward facing with hardware, even though it sounds like you have them already.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:50 PM
jack SF
jack baran
95 ST yellow

RUSTYDANNA did say that he wanted to make them safe.
my 95 came with no rear seats at all. i could have installed side facing jump seats for free but i went to a lot of trouble to find forward facing bench, brackets and seat belts.

if you alreade have side facing seats than thats fine but to go thru the trouble of drilling all those holes for side seats does not make sense.
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack SF View Post
RUSTYDANNA did say that he wanted to make them safe.
my 95 came with no rear seats at all. i could have installed side facing jump seats for free but i went to a lot of trouble to find forward facing bench, brackets and seat belts.

if you alreade have side facing seats than thats fine but to go thru the trouble of drilling all those holes for side seats does not make sense.
I'm sorry it was so expensive and such trouble for you. I'd wager that while that would certainly be better in a front impact the benefit is likely only marginal or non-existant when offroad or in a roll-over which is infinitely more likely in one of these brick excuses for a truck. Everything is a compromise, if you want safe get a different vehicle. He asked to make the inward facing benches safe... that is within the choice he's made make it as safe as possible (i.e. properly installed etc.).
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Brad,

Has someone given you the 3rd degree over having inward facing bench seats? This seems to be a hot button issue for you.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:21 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Was I a little harsh? sorry... nope no one has ever mentioned them to me directly but the safety nazi's bug me in general...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bench, mount