Mounting Hella FF1000s to the stock bumper bar. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
1997 Defender 90 SW
Mounting Hella FF1000s to the stock bumper bar.

So, I thought I'd switch out some Hella Comet 550s that were on my truck to a newish set of FF1000s I had in the garage, but ran into problems. The bolt that fits into the bar from the Comets is smaller that the FF 1000s, so they'll not fit in the same location out of the box. The larger FF1000 bolt is the type with a square head to prevent rotation in a plastic bracket on the light. Not sure if I'll be able to find a replacement with a smaller thread.

Checking in to see how anyone has overcome this already, instead of trying to reinvent things. Suggestions?

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi
I have 1000 FF Hella. I had them on my Toyota before and the bolts corroded. Need to cut them in order to retrieve the spots. After that I used normal 6 pans bolt to secure them on my 110 bull bar. I used a normal wrench as there's only enough space to use the spanner on the bolt between the spot and the bracket.. No easy nor amusing task but I haven't found any replacement square headed bolt so far...

Younger, we pointed the lad I now became.
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Tony Sims
1984 110
If you need a square headed bolt look for battery clamp bolts. You can probably find them on that rack of "Help!" parts at most chain auto parts stores.

Alternately, a bit of time with a carriage bolt and a file would result in square heads.
[appropriated from Ren Ching] Most faults can usually be traced to the badge on the grill.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

bumper, mount