Mounting Hannibal rack to NAS110 Exocage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234
Mounting Hannibal rack to NAS110 Exocage

Ok, so this is a little tardy from the requests I received so my apologies for that. I purchased my full length Hannibal roof rack from AB first off. It was purchased as an option without the legs, which I didn't intend to use. To mount to the external cage pipes, I used trailer leaf spring mounts and U bolts purchased at Northern Tool (any place should have them), which ended up being perfect size for the cage pipes. To be clear, these are steel brackets that mount with U bolts to a trailer axle to allow leaf springs to be joined to the axle. I only needed four brackets, which allowed the actual mounting points of the rack to be used. the width of the rack mounting tongues (where the rack legs would bolt to) and the external cage pipes are almost perfectly aligned. Each bracket is secured to the rack by a single bolt that goes up through the middle of the bracket, with a locknut securing the rack on top.

For the sloping front, AB based on my request provided me with the mounting kit for a D90 wilderness rack (the cheaper brand). I only needed two legs (it came with four) so the other two legs were perfect mounts for my 2 Hella Rallye lights on the front of the cage.

One lesson learned is that the brackets do scratch the paint on the cage. I have repainted the scratches with POR15 to toughen it up. Some kind of wrap, pad or even a short half section of muffler pipe would resolve that issue.

I know some others have used high dollar fancy-schmancy aluminum type mounts, which are another option, but I wanted something cheap, easy to source and off the shelf. I let the brackets get surface rust then painted with POR15 to lock them down long term from rust. After 5 years they don't have a spot of rust yet on them. Hopefully this will help others out in their thought process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 Rack Mount 001.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	40927   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 Rack Mount 002.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	40928  

Name:	110 Rack Mount 004.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	40929   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 Rack Mount 005.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	40930  

Name:	110 Rack Mount 006.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	40931  

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team
Get a sheet of adhesive lined neoprene (eBay) and cut a strip to fit the location where the mounts attach to the bars. Another alternative is drawer liners that you can find at home depot, etc. McMaster should also have neoprene.

Looks nice!

Land Rovers. A loosely associated collection of parts, generally traveling in the same direction.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
1993 Defender 110
This is awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

110, ac, cage, mount, nas, nib, rack