Defender Source Forum banner

Motor Mounts: 200TDI Transplant in 110

19K views 84 replies 23 participants last post by  roverman2010 
#1 · (Edited)
I just installed another TDI in a 110. This was our 1983 X-Swiss Fire Brigade 5 door Station Wagon that left the factory with a 2.25 petrol 4 cyl.

After shakedown, swapped the 1.6 LT230 for a 1.22 T-case from a low mileage wrecked Disco I and on the flat easily cruises at 75MPH.

On each 200TDI, we installed, used the standard Rover diesel mounts, but they transfer too much vibration to the rest of the vehicle and on a LHD vehicle like this Swiss 110, we use the 300TDI manifold and turbo, so the down pipe has to be angled back to keep it away from the Left motor mount.

If this was a one off, would think the vibration could be related to this particular engine, but has been the same for about a half dozen or more 200TDI installs. A positive factor coming out of the OM617 Conversions have been the Mercedes motor mounts, that pass little to no vibration to the chassis. The Mercedes mounts are a lot more expensive starting at about $80 each for genuine and about $50 apiece for aftermarket. These are the larger mounts that are hydraulic filled (according to the supplier).

I am of the opinion that it would be worth while to build a motor mount setup utilizing the Mercedes motor mounts to eliminate the vibration. When we put our first OM617 in a 109 and used the Rover rubber motor mounts, the vehicle shook violently all the way to the tropical roof. When we installed the thinner all rubber Mercedes mounts, the vibration was reduced to an acceptable amount. The larger hydraulic filled mounts reduce the vibration even more (than the thinner rubber Mercedes mounts) and the 90 & 110 Mercedes conversion kits use them. There is virtually no vibration passed through these larger Mercedes mounts and there is room for them with the 200TDI. They would bolt right on top of the stock frame mounts and use existing engine bolts, so no cutting, drilling, tapping, or welding.

Am wondering if there is a market for the Mercedes mounts fitted to a 200TDI that we could produce and sell close to cost for people doing a 200TDI conversion?

This could complement the Mercedes Power Steering Pump conversion for the 200TDI as well as the 169 and 200 amp alternator mounting kits.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The problem I see is the wide range of possible combinations... Disco 200TDI / Defender 200TDI / Short bellhousing / Long Bellhousing. Will it fit all the possible combinations?

#5 ·
I know this is an old thread.

I will be putting a 200tdi in my 90 and wanted to see what is required to fit the Mercedes hydro mount.

Robert: you said they are bolt on but did you make mounts to alter the frame side of the mount? if so do you have any sitting around

#6 ·
mercedes engine mounts

Robert, do you have a kit still in the works for installing mercedes mounts on a 200tdi? Thanks

#9 ·
Thanks Robert, put me down for a set, 85 90 200tdi.

Are you happy with aftermarket/oem, or go with genuine mounts?

#25 ·
This is what I did. After speaking with Robert, I moved the left hand side mount forward instead of aft of the original engine mount. This eliminated the concern of any heat from the exhaust breaking down the rubber in the mount.

I have not run the motor yet, so it's not a confirmed design. And I haven't installed the power steering lines (the power steering pump is directly above the left hand motor mount.

Attachments

#27 ·
One of several rookie mistakes I learned from during my swap was ordering non-genuine mounts.

The vibes were pretty bad so I installed originals from Safari HP. Stephen said they absolutely never use/recommend using aftermarket as the difference is noticeable between the two.

With the genuine mounts the vibes, at idle, are still pretty silly Imo. The 2.5na I took out didn't vibe as strong at idle.

I plan to swap in genuine at the TCase also but I'm not expecting huge changes. SFHP says they don't usually run genuine in the back as the changes are not noticeable.

This is just one of those things that I didn't notice and/or pay enough attention to when I was making the swap decision. The 300's I've seen and driven seem to have a noticeably lower natural vibe at idle Imo.

#35 ·
Just got the power steering lines back from the shop. I will install tomorrow and post some pics. I have the Range Rover lines on there now so it's quite hacked, but at least I have power steering.

Everything looks like it should work out fine though as far as clearances with the mounts on both sides. I think going forward of the mount instead of aft is the way to go. It gets the mount away from the heat of the exhaust. That was done based on Robert's recommendation - not taking credit for the design.

#40 ·
I recently swapped out some cheap after markets for Genuine. I noticed some difference but I've sense read http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/tdiguide.htm that suggest/supply a non-genuine mount that is supposed to be softer. The Genuine I have are pretty stiff. If you take a look at the pics they post on their site they can press/move the rib of the mount with their thumb. Can't do that with my genuine mounts. Just an FYI cuz I wish I'd noticed this before I bought and installed genuine mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.