Defender Source Forum banner

Motor Just Quit - 2.5 NAD 1988 LR 90

Tags
90 motor
1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Rocky 
#1 ·
Was driving to work this am when the motor suddenly took on a bit of a different tone. You could hear is was running differently. Pulled over at first safe spot. Step on clutch to disengage drive train and motor is revving high, but smooth. Stepp

#2 ·
Was driving to work this am when the motor suddenly took on a bit of a different tone. You could hear the engine was running differently. Pulled over at first safe spot. Stepped on clutch to disengage drive train and motor is revving high, but smooth. Switch off ignition... no effect. Switch on and off again and this time it shut down. Try to start it again. It cranks well, but will not fire.

Coolish morning in North Carolina. Started normally after 8 sec with glow plugs.

Any ideas what could be happening? Have had it for 13k miles. No idea when timing belt was last done, but was just getting ready to do. Could it have slipped a cog?

#3 · (Edited)
I have never seen a slipped timing belt. Seems to be some urban myth/idea that many non mechanically inclined folks latch onto. They don't jump, they break. Broken I have seen. Your problem sounds like an injection pump issue or a dropped hot spot. Is there smoke ? More or less than before ?

Turning the key and the engine not shutting down is the shut off solenoid. If has failed then your truck will likely not start. Easy to replace.

Different tone ? Was it running roughly, loss of power ?

#8 ·
I've seen a slipped timing belt - Though on Tdi engines and not on a 2.5NA and there is usually a pop or other catastrophic failure sound associated with the slipping event.

I would look at the following in order:

Check and see if you have voltage at the stop solenoid
Check and see if you have fuel at the injectors, IP, filter, lift pump
Check air system for blockage

After that you are done roadside and can give AAA a call.

At home pull the cover and look at the valve work (everybody opening and closing in order with no dead spots - as bent push rods or broken guides will be an obvious indication that the belt has gone off)

#10 ·
Then after all that check your bank account, get right with the wife and start planning to pull that 68 hp lump of dried dog turd out of your truck and get a decent motor in there. Your life will change for the better. Trust me.

#9 ·
Thanks for the trouble shooting. Agree that is probably not timing belt. Only three miles from home so had started this thread while waiting for tow truck. Easier to do from home computer than from iPhone (somehow got duplicate threads). Will check fuel supply/solenoid tonight. Insurance covered the tow...nice. Back with my tools so can tackle this after work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.