Motor Cutting out/O2 sensor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 12th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

Motor Cutting out/O2 sensor

Hey all,

I am currently having issues with my motor cutting out while driving and when coming to stop lights.

It appears that my idle is all over the place, but in particular it drops right below 1k RPM when getting off the clutch and/or coming to a stop sign.

Recently I reached the 105k mark on the truck and while having it serviced for another issue, my mechanic suggested that my O2 sensors should be replaced.

Is this what could be causing this issue? Would be happy to have my truck running smoothly again bc I am starting to get a reputation around town for holding up traffic.

lastly, if it is O2 sensor related, where do I buy? does price point matte? how hard are they to install?

Thanks a million in advance.

KD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2013, 04:15 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Failed VSS will cause stop light stalling .... IACV will potentially cause erratic idle. An air leak in general could cause the symptoms described.

Whats your ECU readout?

Idle should be around 625 rpm ...

Has your mechanic and LR experience?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

I am not familiar with what VSS and IACV are..... lil help?

Also, the check engine light was on he said it was for the O2 sensors to be replaced. Apparently LR put this warning in because originally the O2 sensors would go and the owners would have no idea. This check engine light is to warn the owner....

I should further explain the two situations that I run into.

1. I will be driving down the road and get into 3rd gear usually and go over bumps or a rough piece of road and the motor will begin to lose power..... i ty to down shift, but usually just ends with me with hazards on turning the truck off and turn it on and the problem goes away.

2. I will be driving up to a stop light, not sure if it matters but at the bottom of a hill, and as I lay into the clutch the RPMs coming flying down and more or less drop the RPMs to 0.

I am getting a bit frustrated as I dont trust the truck to go anywhere more than 10 minutes away. Died on me twice this AM going to work.

Mechanic is well versed in rovers, oddly enough this started happening after I got the truck back from him.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
First thing you should have done is take it straight back ... but seeing as you didnt ... try this:

If I had to bet I would say that the big fat hose is loose on one end .. probably the plenum side.

Not sure who gave you the info about the O2 sensors ... but it sounds like something your mechanic would say ... a mechanic who has no idea about how the ECU works in these trucks.

If you are still struggling PM me your number and I'll talk you through a few checks.
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:11 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender_90 View Post
I am not familiar with what VSS and IACV are..... lil help? Also, the check engine light was on he said it was for the O2 sensors to be replaced. Apparently LR put this warning in because originally the O2 sensors would go and the owners would have no idea. This check engine light is to warn the owner.... I should further explain the two situations that I run into. 1. I will be driving down the road and get into 3rd gear usually and go over bumps or a rough piece of road and the motor will begin to lose power..... i ty to down shift, but usually just ends with me with hazards on turning the truck off and turn it on and the problem goes away. 2. I will be driving up to a stop light, not sure if it matters but at the bottom of a hill, and as I lay into the clutch the RPMs coming flying down and more or less drop the RPMs to 0. I am getting a bit frustrated as I dont trust the truck to go anywhere more than 10 minutes away. Died on me twice this AM going to work. Mechanic is well versed in rovers, oddly enough this started happening after I got the truck back from him.....
Did you ever get this fixed?
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

Hey Jason,

I ended up giving the IAVC a good cleaning/soaking with some electronics cleaner from AutoZone.

It was caked up pretty bad from the looks of it and after this cleaning everything ran really well......

Reckon it needs another good cleaning....

But now....now i am dealing with a leaking coolant system. On to the next one.

Kevin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
motor, sensor