Most hated bolt? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Slightly swelled alloy lug nuts that don't want to come out of the socket. : Get a set of RRC nuts. They are solid, no cap

Every #3 philips on the truck. : Those arent Philips, they are Pozidrive. Still can be a pain, but using an actual Pozidriver will help.

-Jeff
On 3 trucks with the same crappy designed lugs that's a lot of dosh, but I get your point. On the 90 I got a better idea, ditch the alloys and use proper nut style steel wheel lugs instead. Just not done it yet. Too busy swearing at the lugs I eventually intend to beat the crap out of with a sledge or something before trashing them (except the currently good ones that I will keep as spares for the other trucks).

Yes they're Pozi I know but it doesn't matter what they are if you are too lazy and forgetful to buy a #3 driver after this many years of cussing at them when you're not at the tool store remembering to buy the cheap ass bit you need and trying to use the same #2 Stubby you end up using every time. Used to use an impact driver I had with a #3 bit, but haven't seen that in a while so the #2 stubby is back in play.

Guess that says more about ME than the fastners though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
The ones you have to line up (and can't see worth a crap) really suck - like the two on the rotors - can never seem to line those things up! How about the one on top of the starter?
Josh, buy a tapered punch and use it to line up the holes (usually the lower ones are easier to use the punch) and thread in your other bolt. I have never had any problems getting caliper bolts in using this trick.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
My most hated bolt is the last one of any job I'm working on. Without fail it always gives me a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2012, 12:37 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

The ones going into the cross member from the nas bumper suck. Heck yeah I hate the ones that go into the crossmember to hold the NAS step bumper on as they twist off into the frame and the one the dreaded 94 upper swing away carrier nut - it is just hard to get to.

OOOOo.....any of the bolts, nuts screws on an MG midget!!!!
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:34 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Oh yeah the ignition switch screws are terrible. But my favorite is the adjustment nut in the clutch master cyl.... SO much fun!
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'm adding the front output flange nuts on the RRC transfer case to the list. With the exhaust pipe in the way you can't get more than a twelfth of a turn on them, and that's with winkling the box wrench in there for each little bit of twist.
I dared not take out the y pipe cuz we all know what that gets us.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:19 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

hate'in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
Oh yeah the ignition switch screws are terrible. But my favorite is the adjustment nut in the clutch master cyl.... SO much fun!
and the brake plunger adjustment as well!
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:56 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I have a pretty good size drawer in the tool box that is all wrenches that have been cut, modified and otherwise bastardised to get at the long list of fasteners that are out to make me crazy.
I use a lot of acetylene and put out a lot of fires. Some customers like to hang out and watch......I try to discourage it.
I use a lot of 1/16 x 5 1/2 cutting wheels on an unguarded 3 inch grinder. Time is money and I never waste a minute trying to get some things undone.
That said I think the worst bolts sometimes have much to do with the locale they are being attacked in. The top bolt on a V8 starter is much worse on your back in a wet parking lot than it is standing under a lift.
Close seconds are "left overs"......like the 12 point front caliper bolts that someone has stripped the heads off using the wrong socket. Turns a simple brake job into an all day affair.
Then there are the heavily modified.... with no room for mechanic never mind tools. Doing anything to Dave Marchands 90 leaves ones forearms looking like you've been doing a really sad job of attempted suicide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions