most Cold weather cranking amps - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 5th, 2014, 02:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

EFI or carb?
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Edelbrock carb with auto choke
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Sned
Ed
1994 NAS D90

Registry
3.9 V8. Just put in a new NAPA Commercial size 31 w/950 CCA's and it fits fine & flat under seat. Well within mounting hardware limits but you could never squeak a 2nd battery of any size in there with it. These are decent and affordable ($120) batteries with a nice carrying handle on top buy very heavy. I ran one in my 4.6 P38 for many years at the recommendation of my Rover mechanic with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

carbs or injected?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

single carb Edelbrock
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Sounds like you have multiple issues, but probably the easiest solution would be to put one of those magnetic heaters on the oil pan, which should make it easier for the motor to turn over. You may also need the battery blanket.
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Yep, putting in a block or coolant heater (e.g. Zerostart) plus using a lighter weight oil in the winter will be much more effective than looking for a beefier battery. I would also opt for a block heater over a battery blanket or whatever - never had one o those, even in Canada. Canadian Tire used to sell Motomaster batteries that were rated for 1050 CCA, and I used to have one of those from my Tdi, but then then stopped making them. That was a great battery while it lasted though. Diesels are tough to start in the winter when they're cold ...
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:13 PM
ArlowCT
Ryan Lowe
1973ish SER III, 88"

I'm wondering why your truck takes so long to start? Electric or mechanical fuel pump? Possible check valves gone bad and fuel is draining back to the tank. When was the last time it had a tune up?
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I had a Duralast 800CCA battery until this winter. Stuck a Die Hard Platinum 950CCA in a few months ago when we had the first cold blast and it's been fine.
I'm using a Phillips Temro in-line coolant heater on really cold nights, but given the closed-loop system, it really doesn't circulate through the block the way it should and my next step is either an oil pan warmer or block heater. So far I've been making due with what I've got, but it would be nice to get some heat in the cabin before 15 minutes under load. I mean, I can let the engine run for 30-60 minutes parked in weather like this and the temp gauge never really gets above the first line. It really needs to be under load to generate any heat and open the t-stat.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic. The biggest battery I could find was the aforementioned Die Hard Platinum with 950CCA and a 4-year free replacement warranty. It's been cranking over fine ever since.

EDIT: worth mentioning that I'm running 0-gauge positive wire for the extra load in the deisel starting
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Bolson
Ben Olson
1995 Defender 110

Registry
If its a lot of CCA you're looking for here's the biggest AGM motomaster they make. 1100 CCA and 1750 " pulse " whatever that means

http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/auto...96p.touch.html
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
single carb Edelbrock
Had a sneaking suspicion that was the case. Having grown up with carbs I'd never go back to them.

Manual or automatic choke? Wondering if the choke is operating properly.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I see battery blankets mentioned many times here, though no one mentions heated units. There are battery blankets that have heating elements in them.

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-22200-Wat.../dp/B000I8XD9E
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

temps went up to +20 last night and she was able to start. I ordered Kats engine oil pan warmer and a kats battery warmer. I have the engine oil pan warmer on my 101fc (it was the only rig that used to live outside and it keeps the oil nice and fluid and because heat rises it adds some warmth to the block and coolant
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Cant believe what a difference.! I received the Kat's 22100 60 watt 28" battery thermal wrap, went out this AM( -15 degrees) and warped it was well as possible with freezing hands around the battery ( it does not fit around the entire battery , it would need to be about 35" long to completely wrap it) plugged it in for an hour before heading out, and the 110 started right up way more cranking power than the past two weeks. I also received the silicone Kat's oil pan heater but have to find the time to clean the pan in order to adhere the pad to it. Now to find a multi plug extension cord to do a permanent install of the oil pan heater, battery blanket and a trickle charger , maybe even a timer that I can set to charge for 3 or 4 hours before start up (like 3 or 4 am ) so everything does not have to stay on all night (12 hours ). Thanks everyone for the input saved me from buying another new battery $300 + for an Odyssey.
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
On the rare occasion that I use my block heater, I use one of those wall outlet timers for outdoor lights. Something like this...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Plug-I...4#.Us5XK3lH1FI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions