more tire ?'s - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:38 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
more tire ?'s

Do you folks rotate your tires? I think its getting time but have heard lots of different takes on it. I searched and didnt really find anything. do you just do front to back or what?
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Mine rotate every time I drive

Yeah I rotate them, not often enough but I do.
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My tire guy said to rotate mine every 5k and balance them every 10k since they are large. He said they will last longer
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2006, 08:32 AM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

You can also do a 5 tire rotation if your spare is the same size.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I seem to recall it saying not to rotate the tires in the manual but would have to double check that. I rotated them back when I had the Disco and felt like crap driving afterwards and I remember seeing that in a manual somewhere.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Really.. i wonder why Chris...
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by johare
You can also do a 5 tire rotation if your spare is the same size.
That's what I do. Yeah, I'll have to buy 5 again when it comes time. This way though they're all about the same wear so if I need to use the spare it's not significantly larger than the rest.
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
do you just put the fronts to the back or cross them over? FR->LR etc. etc
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:06 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

This is an interesting topic -- rotating tires on an all wheel drive vehicle.

Traditionally people rotate tires in an effort to even the wear between the front and rear tires thus extending tire life. Drive tires tend to get more wear than the non-drive tires. This is especially true with front wheel drive cars where the steering can add some additional wear.

As we know, an all wheel drive vehicle sends power to all wheels (technically the fastest moving wheel) so the question ends up being whether the steering and engine weight in front cause any significant tire wear. To answer that question, you'd want to find someone who has not rotated their tires and see if the fronts are significantly lower than the rears.
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Any vehicle I have ever owned, the fronts always wear faster, unless you smoke the rears regularly.

I used to have trouble keeping rear tires on a '69 Z 28 that I had. 2.02 heads, Muncie Rock crusher 4 speed, headers, positrack rear end, M series tires..........you get the picture.
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I agree with Randy. The fronts do half the driving, 70% of the braking and all of the steering. When I worked at the dealer we always rotated the tires at the factory service intervals. I personally like a 5 tire rotation so I don't end up with an unmatched spare and I like to balance at least the front tires during a rotation.
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:36 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Braking and steering lend a certain amount of weight to the tire rotation idea, Robert. It'd be interesting to see some empirical evidence showing how much effect these really have on tire wear.

Speaking of rotation, is anyone using a 6 tire rotation? It would cost a little more but your tire pairs would wear more evenly. Spare set to the front, fronts to the rear and the rears become the spare set. Or vice versa.
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I do a 6 tire rotation on my Disco, fronts to back to off. 33% more tire life for the set for the price of 1 more tire.
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel
Braking and steering lend a certain amount of weight to the tire rotation idea, Robert. It'd be interesting to see some empirical evidence showing how much effect these really have on tire wear.

Speaking of rotation, is anyone using a 6 tire rotation? It would cost a little more but your tire pairs would wear more evenly. Spare set to the front, fronts to the rear and the rears become the spare set. Or vice versa.

Empirical evidence? Buy a set of tires, don't rotate them, see which ones wear out the fastest. It's not theory, the fronts will wear out first. No matter if it's 4 WD or anything else. Unless you smoke the rears in a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire