More Steering Box Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

More Steering Box Questions

As if the archives don't have enough info (the more I read, the more questions I have).....

'84 90 RHD, loose steering. I've checked (as good as can be done) the tie rod ends, panhard bushings and the steering box. I'm nearly certain the majority of the play is from the steering box.

The steering wheel can be turned about a half inch in either direction with absolutely no resistence and the steering shaft is turning with the steering wheel. After the initial half inch, the wheel can be turned another half to full inch with a bit of resistence, but the drop arm from the steering box does not move. After that point, the first direction the drop arm moves is vertically, then left or right. The box is also leaking. I did tighten the nut on top of the box and that simply increased the resistence when turning the wheel, but did not help move the drop arm when steering.

Obviously the steering box needs addressed. Can re-seal it, replace the drop arm ball joint? Best to just replace the whole unit? Is this likely to fix the play in steering? Where best to buy a new unit?

Thanks, Keith
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Try adjusting it first.
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Ron, you mean the backlash? I did adjust that, it helped "feel" tighter, but didn't actually get the box to react sooner with the turning of the steering wheel.

Thanks, Keith
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2011, 12:19 AM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Yeah- went through the same thing. I didn't try a self rebuild - ordered one from Meridian. Supposedly, they use a bearing down low instead of the original bushing. not sure if they stock or can rebuild an RHD box. Replacing mine completely fixed what was an almost dangerous wander.
But even the Meridians will leak after a few years if used hard. Not a great box design.

Pity your RHD - my almost new(30 mile) LHD box is sitting here because it won't fit with my motor change.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:22 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzack View Post
Ron, you mean the backlash? I did adjust that, it helped "feel" tighter, but didn't actually get the box to react sooner with the turning of the steering wheel.

Thanks, Keith
Well, assuming the play is not in the drop arm ball joint or the u-joints on the driveshaft, it looks like you will need to replace it. I can't imaging a DIY rebuild being a good idea. Reseal sure, but who knows what is worn inside that you could replace.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Okay, best thing to do is replace it. Where can I find one?

1984 RHD.

Thanks, Keith
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
Yeah- went through the same thing. I didn't try a self rebuild - ordered one from Meridian. Supposedly, they use a bearing down low instead of the original bushing. not sure if they stock or can rebuild an RHD box. Replacing mine completely fixed what was an almost dangerous wander.
But even the Meridians will leak after a few years if used hard. Not a great box design.

Pity your RHD - my almost new(30 mile) LHD box is sitting here because it won't fit with my motor change.
Tony - PM'ed you; I need a LHD steering box. Maybe we can work something out. Hijack over.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions