more powerful power steering pump and a bigger reservoir - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2010, 11:02 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

more powerful power steering pump and a bigger reservoir

Has anyone gone to a better power steering pump and a larger reservoir.
I have boiled my fluid a couple of times and with a serious hand injury I cannot turn the 35" tires in the rocks.
I don't think I want to fool with hydraulic ram assist, but I may have to.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
I have boiled my fluid a couple of times and with a serious hand injury I cannot turn the 35" tires in the rocks.

Clark
I'm your huckelberry. What do you want to know? You want the full blown everything answer or just the abbreviation?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:02 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:

Clark
I can't help with the brawnier pump or larger reservoir, but if you are boiling the fluid you may want to consider using a synthetic fluid like RedLine's and adding a cooler to the circuit. I always thought that retrofitting a transmission cooler from a '97 auto truck for use as a power steering fluid cooler would be a cool idea..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I will take the full blown answer please !

Thank you very much !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
I will take the full blown answer please !

Thank you very much !

Pat
Okay, Here goes. But I am going to type fast so please excuse the spelling. I am assuming that the op is wheeling a 300Tdi.

First off, I have a lot of experience with this. Including pulling my PS pump off the motor in the middle of the desert and throwing it as far as I could. Then having to shamefully go look for it and clean it off.

The OP had two very separate concerns, boiling fluid, and ease of turning. The two are separate issues. I'll take on the boiling fluid first. Do not switch to synthetic. It has it's place, but in a PS pump is not one of them. The best solution was mentioned in an external cooler. The bigger the better. It's a good thing to have no matter what.

Now on to the turning issue. The pump that rests in a 300TDi sucks. In fact, Lance from PSC gave me a line that still cracks me up. When I asked him if the pump would be capable of turning a full hydro system, he said: "The only thing this pump is capable of is sinking, if you threw it in the ocean". The pump puts out the same psi at idle as it does revved, which is very little.

So, would a higher rated pump help, well, of course. But, the pump in the 300 is reverse rotation and in a very tight spot. PSC does make a pump that will fit there but you have to cut the aluminum cover of the engine to make it fit. It's really not too bad, Pendy showed me how to do it. Once the pump is fitted, you have to get rid of the absolutely retarded plumbing of the PS lines. Pumps were NOT meant to suck, so the only way to keep a good one alive is to mount the reservour over the pump. That can be tricky. But it is necessary, and in fact, should be done no matter what you do as it's a good upgrade and will limit the starvation.

Okay, so now you have a good pump, will it help? No. Okay, probably. But now you are onto the next hurdle, which is a ps box with two gerbles fighting instead of actual gears. The box with 35in tires is maxed out completely. The extra fluid MAY make the steering easier, but WILL eventually destroy the box.

So the answer, in my opinion, is to go full hydro.........Okay, I'm kidding. I know that is out of the question for most. I would simply add a power assist to the stock box and the stock pump on 35's. If you want, it's a great idea to add the good pump too, but if you are getting by on the 35's with the stock pump, you will get by better with the power assist. The PA ram will take a lot of pressure off your box and allow it to live longer as well. Thats a pretty cheap thing to do at around $200. I would also add a PS cooler and relocate the reservior as well. The cooler is like $35. A bling bling reservior is sexy, but not necessary. If you want extra volume, you can source a junkyard one and fab it in.

My steering was a very difficult thing to figure out. Without PSC, it would have been impossible. I would definately buy from them if you end up doing anything. Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
To expand on Dave's post, fitting a larger reservoir, and a cooler on the return will definitely help with the fluid boiling issue. As for the box, it will die no matter what you do. Even assist is only prolonging the inevitable. Why the sector shaft rides on bushes is still beyond me.

I'm working on a box solution, but it may be a little while, and will require some fabrication.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

yep, no really good solution as noted. Read a bit more here but mostly those were V8s not 300s:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=monkey
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Thanks for the posts.
Buck, I'll contact PSC about an hydra assist and since this will actually be going on my 1991 RRC with the 4.6 litre maybe I have some more pump choices.

Clark
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have seen scout II boxes mounted to land rovers -- mainly leaf sprung ones though. Early 90s and 110s had a much larger res. See MUDSUX's rebuild for a picture of it.
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Old June 14th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Thanks for the posts.
Buck, I'll contact PSC about an hydra assist and since this will actually be going on my 1991 RRC with the 4.6 litre maybe I have some more pump choices.

Clark
Cool. You have tons of pump options then. Thats a much better starting point. You can source uprated stock ones for cheap too. Also, hit up Keith at Rovertracks. He's got a way to run it without tapping the box. Simpler that way.

------ Follow up post added June 15th, 2010 03:17 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
You waiting to break yours? I hope not.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions