More Oil Cooler Thoughts/Questions.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
More Oil Cooler Thoughts/Questions..

Okay, we all know Defenders are burning down left and right due to ruptured oil cooler lines, and that they need to be replaced. But it gets me thinking about possibly upgrading to a better system in the process? Does anyone know how effective the stock, in radiator, Oil Cooler is?

I was thinking of replacing the whole oil cooler system. New Mocal sandwich adapter with thermostat, and using a new oil cooler, maybe something like a Fluidyne DB-30110 or something similar? Anyone gone this route, or have any thoughts on increased efficiency over the factory cooler?

I was even thinking of possibly using the stock transmission cooler from a '97, along with the perforated lower facia panel? I don't know if the passages are too restrictive for engine oil or not though, nor how efficient it is, and of course I wonder how much air flow it would get with the SG winch bumper and winch sitting in front of it?

Any thoughts anyone? Mike? Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Rob Dassler at Southwest Rovers removed mine entirely a couple of years ago. I haven't had any problems or worries since.

Abe
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I don't see the need for a cooler at all. However, I can tell you that the stock trans cooler is not restrictive at all if you want to go that route.
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Check this out...
I believe this is from a D-90 Source memeber...good write-up

http://www.siegecraft.us/mocal.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

LOL was about to chime in that I'm halfway there already. I just haven't gotten around to the actual cooler itself, haven't figured out yet where I want to mount it.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

My 87 RR didn't come with an oil cooler and it seems to be doing fine with out it.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage
My 87 RR didn't come with an oil cooler and it seems to be doing fine with out it.
Okay, not to discount anyone's opinions on the subject, and I am aware that many Land Rover's did not come with Oil coolers, and that most cars on the road do not come from the factory with oil coolers. That being said, I believe there is a benefit to having an oil cooler, and no drawback (when used with a thermostatically controlled system) to having one in place (assuming the integrity of the system is not breached).

So for those who may agree that it is beneficial, anyone else have any thoughts on improving the system, as opposed to keeping the stock system, or removing the oil cooling system all together? Thanks in advance..

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I don't see the need for a cooler at all. However, I can tell you that the stock trans cooler is not restrictive at all if you want to go that route.
Thanks for the information on the stock Trans cooler Ron. I had also thought about using it as a power steering fluid cooler at one point, figuring that the increased fluid in the system couldn't hurt, and that it might help improve the life of the system for those who play on the rocks, which seems to put added stress on the power steering (have seen other's systems boil over on difficult sections when I live out in California).

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

FWIW I haven't heard of any MOD series rovers with oil coolers burning up because of the oil cooler. If no news is good news, maybe that sort of setup could be used.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I had been eyeballing the Setrab coolers with built-in fans. But other problems with the truck just keep popping up.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht