More Locker talk _ Detroit Locker. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

More Locker talk _ Detroit Locker.

So here it goes...I have Detroit locker in the back that seems to be a bit noisy and sometimes engage a little sporadically. So i spoke with of the rear end guys up here and got some input before taking it in to pull apart.

One place said they actually don't recommend the Detroit Locker because of its harshness and they actually have people sign a waiver when they install Detroit lockers, making them aware of the different things to be expected. He went on to say that the Detroit locker was the wrong type for such a short wheel base vehicle.

???

Then i took it into a great shop in the Vancouver area and they pulled the cover, axels etc..after doing some wheel spin tests. The oil was a bit dirty but nothing broken. The conclusion was that the main spring in the locker was not engaging and releasing properly.

Has anybody else experienced this and can this spring be purchased separately without buying a new locker? He was looking into it but i thought i would get a faster response here?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
When in good shape, they should not do anything weird.... It is always engaged. It is the disengaging you are hearing.

As I understand it, normally the problem is damage to the cam mechanism. The Rover diff version is known to fail in this fashion especially if used hard. They can be rebuilt and you can get parts, but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.

Can you give more details. Is it always noisy? How often does it bind up? Is it getting more frequent?

------ Follow up post added May 5th, 2010 12:45 PM ------

Here is a little explanation with picture of how they work: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...79&postcount=8
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Thanks for the quick response...

When backing out of a parking stall and turning the wheel...i hear some louder than norm clunking 50% of the time.

When pulling forward out of a drive way i get a bit off clunk and feels like a wheel dropped into a small pothole only about 10% of the time (passenger side).

When going up a mud hill climb in January, it appears that only one side was spinning for most the time. the ass end of the truck was kinda "fish tailing to the right" but pulled straight, may because of the front TT. Pic below. Also when i washed it after...looks like the passenger side had more mud on the body.

Finally, when i was out wheeling for my first time...a buddy noticed that only one wheel spun.

Otherwise, the truck seems to drive straight and nothing noticeable in the everyday traffic.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill_Eastwood_s_Mud_Hill_photos_Founder_s_Day_2010_055.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	27333  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I can only speak from my personal experience which is I've had no problems in 5 years. I change the gear oil every year and I put about 8-9K miles on my 90 a year. Great Basin Rover built my set up and they were very supportive of my choice when I was doing my research.
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to test if you only have one wheel spinning. If so, something is broken. Normally, the problem is that they do not want to unlock and you get a large bang as it releases.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Is this the Detroit Soft Lockers you are talking about? I have these installed but I haven't found much information on them. Can someone school me on these?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
detroit locker