More light questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
More light questions

So I have searched and searched and answered a bunch of questions...but have some more:

1- If you do not run wires from the roll cage lights inside the cage...how do people typically get them under the hood? Drill a hole, or is there a magic place to tuck them?

2 - Where to people run the ground wire from the roll cage...just under the light mount, or do you tap another hole into the cage?

3 - Has anyone found a source for a bolt similar to the Hella 11mm that will fit? Anyone check Fastenal?

As useless as they may be, I am fulfilling my midlife crisis by adding too many lights to my 90....

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
OK...so I worked everything out.

Here are the lights:
- 2 Hella Black Magic 500 eurobeams on the bumper
- 2 Hella 4000 100w cornering beams on the outside
- 2 Hella 4000 100w pencils in the middle

Some info:
- There is enough room in the Hella 4000 for a bolt and a washer and you can mount them to the rollbar as-is.
- You have to take the lenses out to get the plate back on...but is easy after the 1st one.
- I ran wire loom down the rollcage and just tucked it in the gap in the hood.
- All of the power and relays are mounted in the driver's fender. I have a remote battery terminal and groundt here (soon to be fuse panel)
- I did use the Hella harness...it was nice, but I extended the ground down to my bus so I did not have to try and ground to the cage.
- All of the light relays are hooked to the highbeams for added saftey so I do not melt my covers
- The PO has 4 Carling switches installed and was only using one of them..so it worked perfecly
- Switches are: Bumper Euros -- Cornering -- Pencil -- Rear Work
- Ran the wires into the cab through the grommet behind the binnacle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	30213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light-Switches.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	30214  

Old August 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM
matansas
jon lyons
97 AA Convertible

nice switches

where did get them. Am your not the only one suffering through these issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Switches were put in by the PO.

They are Carling Contura switches.

Let me know any specific questions and I will be glad to help.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
matansas
jon lyons
97 AA Convertible

head scratching

well i have a set of 4000's on bumper i want to move to the rack and a new set of 4000 fogs i want to mount on the bumper. sounds simple but the the driving lights are wired into the dash with a three way switch so they only operate with low beams in the up position and independent of all lights in the down position, which is perfect. so i have to unthread the wiring out through the compartment so i can rerun it up to the cage tabs (which are the wrong thread size ) to operate the relocated drivers. Then run out circuts for the fogs. I don't want to see any wires and I don"t want any leaks.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
There are 3 or 4 existing holes in the firewall including either side of the fuse panel and behind the binnacle. So that is where you want to go in and out of the cab.

It is a TON of work to get the wires inside of the cage (and I don't think it is worth it.) If you use black wire loom and zip-tie it to the back side of the cage, you can not see it unless you are REALLY looking.

Let me know if you want any closeup photos of anything...

Also, if you have the newer 4000s with the two knurled knows for adjustment, you can fit a bolt and washer inside of the base that will mount to the tabs. You just need to get an M8 bolt 1.00 thread and it works fine. Again let me know if you want the exact bolt size...
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:55 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Have you done the max draw calculation vs your alternator output for those? The new LED light bars work well with much less draw but only as cornering/work lights as they just don't have the range. (though on mine I'm looking at them more for camp-setup lighting on the side of the rack vs front facing aux lighting).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:24 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Have you done the max draw calculation vs your alternator output for those? The new LED light bars work well with much less draw but only as cornering/work lights as they just don't have the range. (though on mine I'm looking at them more for camp-setup lighting on the side of the rack vs front facing aux lighting).

Had my alternator tested...it puts out over 100a vs. the stated 80a.

All 7 lights will draw 50-60 amp plus headlights, etc.

You can hear a load on the alt when you fire them all up at idle :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht