More electrical problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
More electrical problems

Here we go again. After coming in from the snow I had one dim brake light. Pulled into the garage and turned it off and replaced both bulbs and greased socket. Now it won't start, can't move shifter(97) no brake lights or turn signals. Also no rear wiper. Checked all fuses seem fine. This is becoming agravating!

I do hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key. Doesn't even trn over.
Any ideas before I had it towed again. Not sure how I'm going to do that since I can't get it out of park
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

Just check your fuses again. I assuming you're checking the fuses under the center console ? I think it is one of the 7 amp fuses. Weird, but it has happened to me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Here we go again. After coming in from the snow I had one dim brake light. Pulled into the garage and turned it off and replaced both bulbs and greased socket. Now it won't start, can't move shifter(97) no brake lights or turn signals. Also no rear wiper. Checked all fuses seem fine. This is becoming agravating!

I do hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key. Doesn't even trn over.
Any ideas before I had it towed again. Not sure how I'm going to do that since I can't get it out of park
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks..I will recheck them. Did you have all the things I listed not working as well.
I do notice that when I hit the brake i don't hear the shifter relay click like I'm used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

What's the voltage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Hans,
what do you mean?
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Haston
Christopher Petite
97 D90 SW

Sounds to me like a faulty brake light switch.
May be worth investigating, as failure always locks the shifter in park.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I will check that as well. Would it cause the turn signals and rear wiper to stop as well?
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Sorry, baby was grabbing my leg as I tried to do the last one. Makes me cut down on the time I spend posting

Just wondering if maybe you were having a system voltage issue in there somewhere. With just a dummy light, sometimes you can have a weak alternator or battery, without any dash indications. The more I read though, the less I'm thinking this will be the issue.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Found bad fuse with light test. Everything is working except one tail light. Changed bulb and housing and it is still very dim....any ideas. It was strange because I got evrything working and went for a drive in the snow. Came back at one tail light is out. These electrics never stop amazing me.
At least it starts.

Thanks guys
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

One good upgrade to do is to change all fuses by the
ones that have a built-in small bulb that goes on if the
fuse blow.
Spare you to check them one by one each time you
have an electrical fault, which is pretty often for almost
all of us.
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

ground
And I love you too
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Bottom of page:

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/sc.11/category.16/.f
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
jack SF
jack baran
95 ST yellow

what kind of grease did you use? is your grease conductive and shorting out the whole system? check that first.

and than check a ground on right side of transfer box.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack SF View Post
what kind of grease did you use? is your grease conductive and shorting out the whole system? check that first.

and than check a ground on right side of transfer box.
Bulb grease.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will send it to my mechanic.

Is there a way to replace only the back wiring harness. Last time I had this problem some wires inside the frame rails were bare. Thinking about pulling all the wires out of the rail so I can inspect all of them or just replacing the rear harness from the engine back leaving it outside the frame.....is this possible.

Thanks again.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Well...I replaced all the bulbs and checked all the connections on the whole truck. I got everything to work! Then I took it for a drive. When I got back the passanger brake light was dim and flickering...as well as the front passanger running light. The 5amp fuse, second one in from passanger side and bottom row did blow prior to me fixing. Any ideas where this might be shorting out based on what is dim?
Thanks as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Bulb grease.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will send it to my mechanic.

Is there a way to replace only the back wiring harness. Last time I had this problem some wires inside the frame rails were bare. Thinking about pulling all the wires out of the rail so I can inspect all of them or just replacing the rear harness from the engine back leaving it outside the frame.....is this possible.

Thanks again.

------ Follow up post added February 11th, 2010 10:54 PM ------

This is insane. I think I have narrowed it down some more. I noticed the lights were flickering almost like to music. I pulled the fuse for the radio and replaced the 5amp fuse I mentioned above...and it seems fixed...WTF
I don't have a working radio but at least it seems all my lights are working.. I haven't done anything different or worked on the radio for a long time. Has this ever happened to anyone..
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It sounds like a ground to me, but I couldn't tell you where.

------ Follow up post added February 11th, 2010 10:57 PM ------

...something in the illumination circuit to the radio maybe?
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Electrics

Thanks..

An illumination ground. That sounds like a great place to start. I have all the radio fuses out and everything is working except the radio. Odd thing is the stock radio is still lit up to some degree when I turn on the lights. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, the radio should have a wire that is hot with the parking lights, to dim the display on the radio at night. If the D90 is like a BMW, one front and one rear tail light are wired to one fuse and the other two through a second, so that if one blows, you still have some marker lights on. I'll bet the radio wire is connected to the same circuit you are having a problem with. It sounds like that circuit is grounding through the radio somehow. I would trace that wire, and also check for continuity between that wire and the case of the radio to see if it has shorted internally. Just my $.02, but that is where I would begin.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Awesome...Thanks......Maybe I could just cut the wire that is hot with the parking lights. It isn't that important to me to have the radio lit up with the parking brake......now to just try to find out which wire it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Yeah, the radio should have a wire that is hot with the parking lights, to dim the display on the radio at night. If the D90 is like a BMW, one front and one rear tail light are wired to one fuse and the other two through a second, so that if one blows, you still have some marker lights on. I'll bet the radio wire is connected to the same circuit you are having a problem with. It sounds like that circuit is grounding through the radio somehow. I would trace that wire, and also check for continuity between that wire and the case of the radio to see if it has shorted internally. Just my $.02, but that is where I would begin.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Richard, did you ever find your fix? My 97SW is giving me signs of bad things to come. My rear wiper just quit working, then radio went and today my gas gage won't move off E.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, problems