Defender Source Forum banner

More amps for your 200tdi

Tags
200tdi tdi
15K views 71 replies 22 participants last post by  6777 
#1 ·
I had a shitty Lucas 45 amps alternator on my 110, 200tdi. It wasn't able to cope with the current drawn by the Rover. After looking around searching for the answer on d-90 and other forums, all I could get was a Lucas 65 amps. Not anymore!

I went to an electric shop downtown and got my hands on a Delco Remy alternator. On the test bench my old Lucas 45 amps was putting out 20-22 amps at +/-3000rpm. The Delco Remy is putting out 50 amps at +/-600rpm and when push a bit (+/- 3000rpm) it goes up to 90-100amps. Which is plenty for most 110 like mine. I have a 2 X Hella 500 on the roof rack (not using those on the road) and 2 X Hella rally 1000FF on the brush bar. I have two Webasto : one for preheating and the second one as a cab warmer. The rest of electrical system is pretty stock Rover things apart for the 2 X optima battery with a National Luna split charging system.

To fit the beast you only need to do a couple of simple steps.

- Get the old alternator out.
- Take the steering pump out.
- Undo the alternator/steering pump bracket.
- Grind the top of the bracket with an angle grinder (I have used zip cut disk).
- Undo the tensioner bar.
- Undo the lower water pump bolt.
- Swap the bolt from the tensioner with the one from the water pump.
- Bolt the Delco Remy alternator on the bracket.
- Using the tensioner on the water pump, shim properly the tensioner to fit with the alternator new position.
- Put back the belts and pump.
- Cut the plastic connector for the old alternator.
- Join the two big wires (brown and red) together and connect to the + on new alternator.
- Join the little wire to the signal light position on the alternator.
- join the rpm wire to the proper connector on the alternator
- mind as well change the steering pump and alternator strap.

- Get a Guiness and Enjoy! :grin

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have it so far.. But it's a common alternator for tractor and trucks.. My local electric shop told me it's one of the most common Delco Remy. Every shop should be able to supply one.. I'll keep you up post with the part number and how living with the alternator is.

#5 ·
Looks like I will be going with the same setup shortly, as the 65amp Lucas I have barely copes with the demand.

Great write up ! Just need the part number.

Thanks for sharing.

Pat

#6 ·
It seems like the alternator is a generic. I have found no parts number for it so far. The lads at the electric shop can't give me one either!?... They say it goes on tractor and trucks. It's a Delco Remy unit of 100amps. The alternator cost me 125$cdn. and comes with a 1 year warranty.
There's another route you can choose instead of grinding the bracket ; take the shim off under the bracket and shim on the steering pump. Without pictures it's a bit hard to explain but.. You have to take 3mm off for the alternator. Taking the shim between the bracket and the block gives you that but, the pas pump will be 3mm short for proper alignment.

#8 · (Edited)
#11 ·
That is not an equivalent. That IS a stock 65 Amp alternator as used in 2.5D, 2.5TD and 200TDI Defenders. I've got a bunch of them at home. Decent price and good for people in the States as shipping is free. You can get the un-branded ones in the UK cheaper. I've personally had a close look between the unbranded and Lucas branded ones. They appear physically identical in every respect.

#12 ·
interesting too that the OP gives test bench output at 3000 RPM. Remember that alternators should be turning at about twice engine speed.

#15 ·
OK so long story short i finally found an easy to source US part number.

Made by WAI or WPS (world power systems) alternator part number 12088n

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Alterna...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f10af66be#ht_9454wt_2601

http://store.alternatorparts.com/part-12088n-1262101lu2-lucas-70-amp-12-volt-alternator.aspx

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3701-...ractor-4255-4260-4263-4270-12088-alu0010.aspx

http://www.discountstarterandaltern...nator-massey-ferguson-3478-360-m91-24209.aspx

Seems like the type varies widely but I got the one in the last link from another supplier. It is rated at 75 amps, fits in the stock location, is the same size as stock and has the stock connections if you choose to use them.

mine also came with a readout of the testing from the factory.

#24 ·

Attachments

#25 ·
I bought the one in this link and have had it around 6 months and this happened?

http://www.discountstarterandaltern...nator-massey-ferguson-3478-360-m91-24209.aspx

cracked the lower mount on it - will see how there customer service is but anyone have a link to a better one?

Did you put the bolt in the back as well? There are 3 bolts. 2 in front (one top one bottom), and 1 in the rear (bottom).

My Alternator cracked the same thing, then i saw there was NO bolt in the rear bottom hole. The belt puts leverage on the front of the alternator and without that rear bolt it will snap the housing just like yours did.

#29 ·
Just got back from the shop yes all 3 bolts are in use and the bolts were still tight

I called the alternator co and they said they only warranty manufactures defects and they say this is not a defect -

now what - what alternator should I buy to replace it?

#32 · (Edited)
We designed a 200 AMP 200TDI conversion based on the Ford Taurus SHO unit.
Works great with the Disco version of the 200 TDI.
Fits in the AC compressor location, so for non-AC setups, but working on a mount for AC equipped 200TDI engines.
Not cheap, but supplies nearly unlimited power with a 200 AMP capacity!

Attachments

#34 ·
Alternator tech isn't exactly rocket science. Finding one that fits isn't difficult as alternator mounts fall into only a few categories, all of which are pretty much standardized. Double foot, single foot, flange and pedestal mount are about it for choices. Dimensions among those vary somewhat.

#36 ·
The mount style/size for the Defender 200TDI is NOT at all common in North America. I have looked. The other problem is there is not much clearance around the body to other things, so fitting a larger one is difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.