More amps for your 200tdi - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Alternator on order...thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 11:56 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

This is the best site ever...I just ordered one for my 110 200tdi also...this should power everything..
SHAYNE
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Another update, I swapped off the double pulley back to my stamped steel one. The original.fit just the same, the groove is deeper and it is a smaller internal diameter. This should help keep the output higher at lower rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2012, 09:24 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I bought the one in this link and have had it around 6 months and this happened?

http://www.discountstarterandalterna...m91-24209.aspx

cracked the lower mount on it - will see how there customer service is but anyone have a link to a better one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Dec 18, 3 52 55 PM.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	62950  
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
I bought the one in this link and have had it around 6 months and this happened?

http://www.discountstarterandalterna...m91-24209.aspx

cracked the lower mount on it - will see how there customer service is but anyone have a link to a better one?

Did you put the bolt in the back as well? There are 3 bolts. 2 in front (one top one bottom), and 1 in the rear (bottom).

My Alternator cracked the same thing, then i saw there was NO bolt in the rear bottom hole. The belt puts leverage on the front of the alternator and without that rear bolt it will snap the housing just like yours did.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:24 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I did not install it had my local shop put it on when they did the radiator etc will swing by tomorrow and confirm all 3 mounting points were used

J
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:45 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
I did not install it had my local shop put it on when they did the radiator etc will swing by tomorrow and confirm all 3 mounting points were used

J

I'l bet $5 they didn't use it. Its hard to notice, especially once in the truck
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I'l bet $5 they didn't use it. Its hard to notice, especially once in the truck

The original alt in my truck had only 2 mounting bolts in it and was bent on that ear. (thanks again aaron)

When i replaced it with the one in this thread i put all 3 in.
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Just got back from the shop yes all 3 bolts are in use and the bolts were still tight

I called the alternator co and they said they only warranty manufactures defects and they say this is not a defect -

now what - what alternator should I buy to replace it?
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is a defect. It should never break if it really was secured properly.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I use the same alternator and have no problems.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:05 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We designed a 200 AMP 200TDI conversion based on the Ford Taurus SHO unit.
Works great with the Disco version of the 200 TDI.
Fits in the AC compressor location, so for non-AC setups, but working on a mount for AC equipped 200TDI engines.
Not cheap, but supplies nearly unlimited power with a 200 AMP capacity!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRX_200TDI_Alternator.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	63042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric_Fan.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	63043  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Fits in the AC compressor location, so for non-AC setups, but working on a mount for AC equipped 200TDI engines.
Ford SHO? Could you have picked a less common vehicle? Lol

Not knocking just seems odd. Kudos for figuring an alternative out
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:12 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Alternator tech isn't exactly rocket science. Finding one that fits isn't difficult as alternator mounts fall into only a few categories, all of which are pretty much standardized. Double foot, single foot, flange and pedestal mount are about it for choices. Dimensions among those vary somewhat.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
200Amps? had no idea that a SHO would need such power. Who knew.
How many miles have you put on the unit while in that location?
Looks like a clever enough spot (higher than stock) and the custom bracket looks pretty stout.

I'm going to need to find a solution for my 300Tdi soon. Don't think I'll need 200 Amps though!
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Alternator tech isn't exactly rocket science. Finding one that fits isn't difficult as alternator mounts fall into only a few categories, all of which are pretty much standardized. Double foot, single foot, flange and pedestal mount are about it for choices. Dimensions among those vary somewhat.
The mount style/size for the Defender 200TDI is NOT at all common in North America. I have looked. The other problem is there is not much clearance around the body to other things, so fitting a larger one is difficult.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The mount style/size for the Defender 200TDI is NOT at all common in North America. I have looked. The other problem is there is not much clearance around the body to other things, so fitting a larger one is difficult.
Case size is a factor, but foot mount ain't. One other factor that hasn't really been addressed is that high output alternators need more belt wrap. A measly 120 degree arc with a single belt simply wont cut it. This is why later RRCs with the 100 amp Marelli went with the serp belt and a 180 degree wrap.
The 200 Tdi really needs a double pulley for a high amp alternator or it will slip and burn up the belt PDQ.
This can all be rendered moot by adding a second deep cell and using that as the winch battery. Then, with a split charger, you charge both the start battery and the winch battery with the stock alternator. Since winching is (we hope) a relatively short term demand, the deep cell probably won't draw down very much. Since there really isn't any draw on the battery save for lights, the system will recharge fairly quickly on the stock alternator.
It's all a trade off, no matter how you go.

1968 2A 88

Old December 21st, 2012, 08:47 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
200Amps? had no idea that a SHO would need such power. Who knew.
How many miles have you put on the unit while in that location?
Looks like a clever enough spot (higher than stock) and the custom bracket looks pretty stout.

I'm going to need to find a solution for my 300Tdi soon. Don't think I'll need 200 Amps though!
We found the SHO alternator to bolt to the Isuzu 4JB1-T 2.8 Turbo Diesel in our son's 1993 LWB RR without any modifications. Then we used it in the 200TDI because it worked so well.

Miles... lots of miles. The unit has some large internal fans and DB Electric where we buy them has a 1 year guarantee. We hooked it up to a large inverter back when we lost power during hurricane Isabel for about a dozen days and ran a couple of refrigerators off it. That was before we owned a diesel generator.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old December 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I think that people think that having a high amp alternator is the solution for electrical issues, real or imagined. A 200 amp alternator on a Tdi is kinda overkill. You'll just never get anywhere near that out of it anyway. Simply adding amps without looking at the entire charging/discharging system is pointless. As I stated above, you get more usable power by adding a second battery than by adding a bigger alternator. You also get longer battery life, less engine horsepower loss, and other benefits.
Look at the drains on the battery. Lights, starter and maybe a stereo. Heater fan. The starter eats lots of amps but only for a few moments, so it's not really a big user of power. Lights, maybe 15 amps max. Stereo? That can vary from a few amps to hundreds, but I think most people's stereo is only using a few amps. So adding it all up the entire vehicle is only taking out maybe 20 amps while the stock alternator is doing what, 30-35? So where is the need for a bigger alternator? Winching? OK let's look at that. Say that you use your starting battery to run a winch. The winch is drawing 100-200 amps or more, but only for a few minutes. It's not like it takes hours and hours of battery time. So this short burst discharges the battery maybe 20%. With the engine running and the alternator charging, this is pretty quickly restored. One problem though is that repeating this several times in succession will discharge the battery more than the alternator can keep up. With a 2:1 pulley and the 200Tdi doing all she'll do the alternator is spinning at maybe 6-7000RPM. That's about half of what you need to get the actual rated output from an alternator. At actual daily driving engine RPM, you get far less of course.
So the case for a second deep cycle battery that is dedicated to winching becomes more compelling. That and a split charging system that will keep both batteries charged without letting the start battery go flat. Going one step further and adding a smart alternator regulator that supplies controlled steps of charge rate along with battery monitoring and alternator and battery temperature monitoring will ensure that you can happily supply all your electrical needs without flattening your batteries.

1968 2A 88

Old December 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I think that people think that having a high amp alternator is the solution for electrical issues, real or imagined. A 200 amp alternator on a Tdi is kinda overkill...
We have a split charger and dual batteries. DB Electric has them for about $80.
Just depends on what you want to use it for and how well you deploy the old adage that anything worth doing can also be worth over doing...

We also take our inverter when camping and run lights and all sorts of other stuff and feel secure with the 200AMP unit, but you're right, it's probably overkill, but we feel secure with 200 AMP overkill. (smile)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi