More 200TDI Stalling Stories - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 30th, 2010, 08:54 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

More 200TDI Stalling Stories

Previously, I got some advice and good leads from other members of this site when I was attempting to determine the cause of intermitent stalling of my 200TDI. It originally emerged only upon start up and progressed to a point where it occured once at speed under load. The common consencus was that I was drawing air into the system. I cleaned out the sedimentator and fuel filter. I tried to prime the pump, but the stepper didn't seem to gain any pressure(leading me to question my fuel pump... I ordered a new one). Anyway, I made an appointment with my mechanic. Of course, there was no stalling when I brought it to him and it has been great the whole rest of that day... In other words, the problem is intermitent. My mechanic suggested that the problem might be the FUEL SHUTOFF SOLENOID. Does anyone know about the solenoid(I don't even know what it is, did'nt know the 200tdi had one, don't know where is it located...any advice on replacement and where to get one)? Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2010, 09:20 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

This happened to me. The wire broke off within the insulation and I had a couple of cases of the engine missing, which I thought was weird for a diesel. Latter that day ended up stranded by the side of the road for 3 hours until I figured it out. The stop solenoid in easy to find, just follow the single wire you see going to the pump. It's just a simple electromagnet plunger which opens when the key is in the on and start position allowing fuel to flow and closes when you turn the key to off. It just screws into the pump.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEF...-/250615178631
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:06 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Kevin-
Thanks for the info. That's just what I was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2010, 08:12 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks for the ebay UK source for the fuel shutoff solenoid... does anyone know a US source?
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:06 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Any diesel injection place will be able to get you one.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
I tried to prime the pump, but the stepper didn't seem to gain any pressure(leading me to question my fuel pump... I ordered a new one).
You knew the lift pump plunger has to be on a cam lobe for the primer lever to work right ?
When you try the primer lever and there is no resistance you have to bump the engine over until the cam lobe depresses the plunger/actuator lever for the pump. Then the finger lever will work. If you have that resistance and still no flow then the lift pump is toast.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

On this same subject, has anyone sourced a pull cable stop to replace the shut off solenoid? 1 less wire.
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Doug-
Thanks for the advice... Yes, I advanced the starter several times to get the cam in the right position to no avail. Never got pressure on the stepper. Nonetheless, I ran the truck a long time, so I believe that any air in the system would have passed through the engine. I had the experience of advancing the starter several times to get the cam in the correct position to make it possible to install the fuel pump. I appreciate the input.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi