mod suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
kjh888
Kurt Harvey
97 Defender 90 ST

mod suggestions

I have been looking for a defender for about three years now and finally found one that I love. This website has taught me so much. The defender is my dream vehicle and i already feel like i want to keep it forever!

I recently purchased an aa yellow 1997 Defender soft top that is bone stock with about 65,000 miles. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for modifying it, the defender will be my daily driver that i will take off road about every month or two. The second picture is the result of my first time gettin it nice and muddy. The only things that I have done is change some rusted bolts out for some stainless ones, and add some EE convex mirrors, which helped a lot. I am just looking for some ideas to make it better and more capable.

I live in florida so the defender will only see lots of mud and deep water.

Also, do you have any suggestions of any places I can get it worked on in Central florida other than the Land rover dealers.

-Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1665.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	5611   Click image for larger version

Name:	muddy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	5612  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:57 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My advice is to wait awhile and see what you would like to do with the truck by off roading with others. As for right now, the only modification I would make is to make sure you have stout recovery points, front and rear. Then, wheel with others and get a grip on how far you would like to go with the truck and to what purpose. Modifications are typically done to personal use, and I have found that most people that ask that question are very excited about playing with their truck and modifying it but have not developed their own style and comfort zone wheeling. You are at an exciting point in an owners life, and I think most of us at that point made modifications that we would have done differently (or not at all) if we had wheeled more first. So wait and see.

I am assuming that you have not done too much wheeling--which is great since now you have a million trails and mud holes to look forward too. Most of us start with protecting vital components by adding sliders and skid plates and stout bumpers, then upgrading the tires to be better suited to playing (along with lift), and then upgrading axles and driveshafts (when necessary). But start with wheeling alot--you will get to the other stuff quick enough.

Your truck looks AWESOME! Good luck and keep checking in!
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Great looking truck Kurt. I love those AA Yellow's.

I agree with Chris, that's some of the best advice I've heard for a new owner.

If you wheel alone a winch bumper and winch would be my first choice. If you ALWAYS wheel with others who have a winch then not a big deal.
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
kjh888
Kurt Harvey
97 Defender 90 ST

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and the complements, hopefully once I get some money together I can put them into effect, I also wanted to know if anyone knew of any public places to wheel in florida, or any land rover clubs that gather around the state.

-Kurt
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:48 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

www.floridalandroverclub.com
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I would suggest high lift jack, sliders, snorkle, recover staps and D shackles.

The high lift jack is a must when you are stuck in the mud. Sliders will help protect the bottoms of the doors from getting damaged when you slide in the muck. The snorkle will help the truck engine from taking on water. That is a bad thing. Having your own recover gear will help with the recover once you get stuck. Nobody is crazy about getting their gear muddy whille pulling out a newbie.

I also second everything Chris said. Find out how you want to wheel then build the truck to suit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mod