Mixing regular with synthetic gear oil - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Mixing regular with synthetic gear oil

In my LT230 I run Royal Purple. I have been working on it for a while replacing the frame and skid and what have you. I grabbed 80w90 thinking it was RP and without paying attention blasted it in there. I now have all RP synthetic, and about a 1/2 quart of conventional cheap stuff. Is there any reason to drain and redo it or can I just leave it. Thanks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
At the cost of synthetic I would leave it. I don't think the LT230 really needs synthetic as they are quite robust. A little bit of Dino in the mix won't make too much difference. We'll see what the experts have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
In my LT230 I run Royal Purple. I have been working on it for a while replacing the frame and skid and what have you. I grabbed 80w90 thinking it was RP and without paying attention blasted it in there. I now have all RP synthetic, and about a 1/2 quart of conventional cheap stuff. Is there any reason to drain and redo it or can I just leave it. Thanks.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I did the initial fill on both my trucks (driveline) with Mobil, Ive been topping it up with the cheap shit from the bulk barrel at the drillers shop... I drain and fill once a year.
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I did the initial fill on both my trucks (driveline) with Mobil, Ive been topping it up with the cheap shit from the bulk barrel at the drillers shop... I drain and fill once a year.
No problems you can notice?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have done this before. No worries. It is like a homemade semi-synthetic. I even do this with my motor. The last quart or two on top up I will just dump dino in it if I don't have synthetic on hand.
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I have done this before. No worries. It is like a homemade semi-synthetic. I even do this with my motor. The last quart or two on top up I will just dump dino in it if I don't have synthetic on hand.
Awesome. Thanks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
No problems you can notice?

Problems I have arent from lack of high quality fluids.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

As long as you do not mix two different synthetic bases you are good, there is a chance that two different synthetics will react and drop solids but if you just added 100% mineral to a synthetic there is no issue whatsoever. This is also why when switching between synthetics it is recommended to run a cheap mineral oil for a few days between to flush/dilute any of the original left. Now this is fairly old practice, today it is very well possible that they will all mix OK, but you know how superstitious people are with their lube.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Sorry, but isn't this a little extreme? I mean, we are talking land rovers here...I know...the synth stuff is great...but really, the small amount of oil left from a drain and fill changover is going to contaminate the whole new batch to the point where it is actually detrimental to the engine in some perceptible or measurable way? Superstition indeed if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
As long as you do not mix two different synthetic bases you are good, there is a chance that two different synthetics will react and drop solids but if you just added 100% mineral to a synthetic there is no issue whatsoever. This is also why when switching between synthetics it is recommended to run a cheap mineral oil for a few days between to flush/dilute any of the original left. Now this is fairly old practice, today it is very well possible that they will all mix OK, but you know how superstitious people are with their lube.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions