Mixing Batteries - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mixing Batteries

I am running dual Optimas with a Painless manual dual battery system. My main Optima is dying and I am looking to replace it with a Sears Platinum (rebadged Odyssey). I've heard you shouldn't mix battery types, any truth to this?. The only time the batteries are joined together is usually during winching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've got an Optima blue top that I got from Gustavo that I'm not planning on using, if you're interested in it. Never used.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Which painless system are you using that the batteries are only joined together during winching?

How does it charge then?

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Which painless system are you using that the batteries are only joined together during winching?

How does it charge then?
It's their only dual battery system. You have to manually flip a switch to use and/or charge the second battery.

Semper Fi!
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm planning to do the same. I have dual yellows and one is fading. going to replace with sears platinum when it takes dump. other yellow is going strong so will replace that one down road. I would think that optimally ypu want both batteries the exact same, but what you don't want is two very dissimilar batteries like a lead acid with agm, or two very different amp hour capacities. the yellow top and sears agm are close enough that I wouldn't worry about it.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Both batteries are red tops.

Semper Fi!
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
The switch should have 3 positions and two lights.

The selector switch has three positions, which operates the system.
- Switch centered; the main battery is used only for vehicle operation. The solenoid is not activated and the auxiliary battery will not be charged.
- Switch activating green light position; the main and auxiliary batteries are connected for charging and starting and the green light is illuminated when the key is in the on position.
- Switch activating the red light position; the main and auxiliary batteries are connected together and the red light is illuminated at all times regardless of ignition switch position.

Point is...if you leave it in the center position...it will never charge.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake
The switch should have 3 positions and two lights.

The selector switch has three positions, which operates the system.
- Switch centered; the main battery is used only for vehicle operation. The solenoid is not activated and the auxiliary battery will not be charged.
- Switch activating green light position; the main and auxiliary batteries are connected for charging and starting and the green light is illuminated when the key is in the on position.
- Switch activating the red light position; the main and auxiliary batteries are connected together and the red light is illuminated at all times regardless of ignition switch position.

Point is...if you leave it in the center position...it will never charge.
I know how my system works, my question is whether I can mix batteries, LOL. My MAIN battery is dying, which charges all the time.

Semper Fi!
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You should not mix gel and AGM on the same bank. If they are on separate charge circuits, no issue. I will qualify that last thing by saying that your alternator is putting out voltage that is based on engine RPM and not battery charge condition. In other words, if the batteries are below the alternator's turn on voltage, they get full blast charge voltage until they come up high enough to turn off the alternator's VR. It's go, no go. So it may be possible to have your alternator charging and still flatten one or both of the batteries.
If you want to be sure that the batteries are getting the proper amount of charge, you will want a "smart" multi step alternator regulator such as the Balmar MC-614 This can be set up to charge gel, AGM, or flooded batteries. With an added Yandina, Blue Seas, or BEP combiner, you can set it up so that both start and accessories batteries get sufficient full charge. They will parallel with a dash switch if you desire. That will eliminate the horrible 1,2,BOTH,OFF switch.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Wolf...my point was...I hope your battery is connected more than just winching (so it charges) :-)

I would not mix.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Wolf...my point was...I hope your battery is connected more than just winching (so it charges) :-)

I would not mix.
It is, Cheers. I usually switch it over from time to time to keep the 2nd battery fresh.

I've got a line Jason's spare blue top Optima for a good price, so I'll throw that in there for now.

Semper Fi!
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
You should not mix gel and AGM on the same bank.
The sears platinum and the yellow top are both AGM, so there's no mixing in this case.
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I leave mine in the ignition controlled position...as I tend to drain my battery every couple of weeks and it will then jump-start itself and I know I will have two charged batteries (or at least one) :-)

I am running two yellow-tops in mine...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Optima Bill
Bill Howell
1972 Dodge Charger

Hi Wolf Fabrication,
Reading through this thread, I see you have gone with the BlueTop for now. Just to clarify Optima's position on your original question let me add a couple remarks.
First, RedTops are starter batteries, not designed or warrantied for winching. Our dual-purpose starter/deep-cycling YellowTop series would have been the better selection. However, our BlueTop series are also dual-purpose deep-cycling also (except for the 34M) so you may be able to get by if you use the BlueTop for winching. Just be sure to hook the cables to the standard SAE terminals, not the wing nut terminals.
Also, we recommend any batteries run in a non-isolated system be identical in size, age and type. However, if you are only using the one battery for winching and not day to day use, you may be ok, just be sure you do have the two isolated from each other.

Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
What happened to OptimaJim?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
What happened to OptimaJim?
OpitmaJim was downsized by The Bobs. He was people person and was responsible for taking the specs from the customers to the engineers. OptimaBill is a straightshooter.

------ Follow up post added March 22nd, 2012 09:29 AM ------

On another note, Costo took back my two year old junk red top no questions asked. They even handed me cash. Gotta love Costco!

Semper Fi!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
OptimaJim always had that real nice Wisconsin accent that I could trust.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
OptimaJim always had that real nice Wisconsin accent that I could trust.
On the bright side, if there is one, OptimaJim was severly injured in a car accident, but is acclaimed for his invention of the "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

Semper Fi!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I'm just glad OptimaJim was replaced by Optima Bill instead of OptimaPradeep, although they all say their name is Bill anyway...
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Optima Bill
Bill Howell
1972 Dodge Charger

LOL, thanks for the welcome guys! Quick responses too, I like that.
I have been doing this for about 9 months, the internet is a big place and Jim had other duties so I am helping now. He is still around, no wrecks that I know of. I just happen to find this thread and thought I would jump in. I am a serious car guy, mostly in to musclecars. (you can google Bill Howell and 1965 GTO or 1972 Charger and see more about me) I also have a K-5 Blazer that I like to play around with so know a bit about 4WD. Just a bit though so don't test me too much on that. I was an Optima Customer long before becoming an eCare Manager, and have used them in cars, trucks, golfcars, motorhomes, boats, etc so do know the product.
Again, thanks for the welcome.....I think..lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions