Misting on the inside - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Misting on the inside

I just drove up the hill to pick up my daughter, and all of the glass on the inside of the truck instantly fogged for no apparent reason. I may have imagined it, but there seemed to be a slight smell of coolant. I'll check the level when it cools down, but I checked all of the hoses and there are no leaks.

I cleaned it off, and it was fine on the way back. Temp gauge was fine, heater still blows hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
I just drove up the hill to pick up my daughter, and all of the glass on the inside of the truck instantly fogged for no apparent reason. I may have imagined it, but there seemed to be a slight smell of coolant. I'll check the level when it cools down, but I checked all of the hoses and there are no leaks.

I cleaned it off, and it was fine on the way back. Temp gauge was fine, heater still blows hot.
It is likely that the heater fan pulled some water from the wing air intake bowl. If the drain cock in the bottom of this bowl becomes clogged with dirt it does not allow water (that enters via the wing vent) to drain and it accumulates in the bowl. If you drive up hill it is likely that the water was atomized by the fan (blower for the heater and fresh air) and blown into and onto the windows. This has happened to me once as well. The rubber drain cock is easy to clean. Just remove the vent from the wintop, put your hand into the bowl then run your finger, screw driver or other prodding tool through the clogged drain cock. The water will drain nicely. Some people remove this drain cock. I just clipped it with some sizzors to ensure it never clogs up again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Awesome feedback. I'll go check it. It snowed about 3" yesterday while at work, so it probably just sat in there until today.

Follow-up Post:

That was quick. There's no drain cock there, so I'm thinking all the water I was driving through got sucked in. Slight coolant smell as the reservoir is right above that, and there has no doubt been coolant splashed on that wheel well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Slight coolant smell
could be your heater matrix is leaking, thats what happend to mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
Slight coolant smell
could be your heater matrix is leaking, thats what happend to mine
Could you see it in the engine bay? Drips to the floor?

Thanks for the replies.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Could you see it in the engine bay? Drips to the floor?

Thanks for the replies.
nope, the leak was small but enough to smell the cooland and fog the windshield and took about a month before i noticed a drop in cooland.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I would check the heater core. When the one in my old Blazer went the windows just stayed fogged and I had to keep wiping the inside of the windscreen to be able to see out.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

10-4. The heater core shat the bed this morning. Thanks for the direction
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its not expensive, just irritating to replace. The hood has to come off first - and you need to move the washer bottle.

In the pix, you can kind of see how its done. Since you need three hands most of the time, it was hard to take more pix.

It kind of looks like if you take off the top plate (pointed to by the scewdriver) then the core will slide right out - not so! There is another plate just like this on the bottom that prevents this. Remove all the mounting bolts, and finesse the heater box up and out of the truck, you have to rotate it a bit. Dont worry about draining the cooling system, just reach over, grab the two hoses, and snap them off the core, leaving the plastic pieces in the end of the hoses, elevate these quickly to minimize coolant loss. If you want, you can plug the core, or better yet, just dump coolant all over the engine compartment as you try and get the box out.

Once out, the replacement is pretty straight forward, but you'll want to buy some foam weather stripping because the stuff in your box will be crap. Just get a roll of the black/grey adhesive stuff at home depot - I think I used the half-inch stuff. Clean the inside of the box really well so that it will stick, and then use some thin cardboad to assist getting the core down inside without ripping up the foam.

Buy new heater hoses too, since you might not be able to re-use the ones you have. I think thats about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0777 - Resized.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	11812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0778 - Resized.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	11813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0779 - Resized.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	11814   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0780 - Resized.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	11815  

Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
"just dump coolant all over the engine compartment as you try and get the box out" - I agree, there is nothing like the smell of engine coolant in the morning...it is the smell of Victory!

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Same happened to me a couple of years ago. Thankfully I live in Florida and just disconnected the heater all together. No A/C, might as well have no heat...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

When I read, "Misting on the inside", my first thought jumped to that "crying on the inside kind of clown" saying. Then I thought this will thread will lead to something about replacing the heater core. The clown thought reappeared, only it was that clown from the Stephen King book.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Jim: That information is perfect! Thank you!

Robert: Put the bong down. Slowly back away.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:

Robert: Put the bong down. Slowly back away.

Just wait until you have AC troubles. The part search odyssey could be the background story for another King book.
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

LOL. I mitigated my losses there by selling the AC a year ago. Not much need here, but heat while being able to see would be nice. Picking up a core and hoses in Denver today, weekend project.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It'll only take you a couple hours. Good luck, take pix so we can see how miserable you are!

Old January 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Done! Not that bad, and replaced all the hoses at the same time. Also got 5 hours in at Highlands.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Funny, this just happened to me with the exact same symptoms. I noticed a slight misting of the windshield on the way to to visit Doug Crowther and check out his 110's. Just before I headed home, Doug jumped in to run to the hardware store and told me he smelled anti-freeze. I keep some in the back, so dismissed that too. By the time we got to the hardware store the misting was very evident and the leak was not very noticeable in the engine bay. Doug advised I bypass it, and I did just that. Other than a bit chilly of a ride home, all was well!

Time to find a RHD heater box!.

charles
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

There were 2 different types available through World Pac. Mine, and most D90's (LHD) use the one with the horizontal inlet and outlet. The other one has vertical ports, which I would assume point down. Might that be the one you need?
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:11 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't have a world pac account, but autopartswarehouse.com lists the same two variants fro the cores. Yes the 110 inlet/outlet point down on the 110, and the heater boxes look the same otherwise so that should be fine (waiting to hear back from george first though).

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay at world pac? It's $168 for the downward facing at autopartswarehouse.com.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions