misaligned boonet - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

misaligned boonet

I was putting on my new wing top protectors yesterday. First I drilled the holes and fastened the pasenger side. Moved over to the drivers side and when I went to measure everything found out that my hood is way off center. So on the passenger side I have space around the entire protector. On the drivers side the hood closes on the protector. Not necessarily a big deal, but it causes the hood to get dented and the scratched where it comes in contact with the wing top protector. After looking at everythign from the front the hood is off center about 1/2" to 1".

Is there anyway to realign the hood without too much effort. If not I can just live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Mine is misaligned to but not as bad as yours. The hood is barely rubbing on the driver side and it took some paint off but you won't see it unless you open the hood. I would say loosen the bolts/screws for the hinges and latches and try to move it to see if you can align it.

Good luck
Old January 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Joe, also adjust the rubber stops down further under the front of the hood so they stop the hood from hitting the fenders.

Randy
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Okay this is going to be hard to explain and probably not going to make much sense but here goes...

1st - Open the hood and disconnect the prop mechanism either at the hood or from the engine bay.
2nd - Raise the hood up high enough that it begins to lift out - you may need two people for this.
You'll see that the hood pivots in the hinge on a black slotted (plastic?) piece, one on each hinge.
With the hood off, note the position of the black slotted plastic pieces and lift them out of the hinge.
You'll see that the slot isn't in the center of the plastic piece, rather it's offset to one side.
Turn the plastic pieces over and replace in the hinge, then replace the hood making sure it goes back into the slot of the plastic piece.
Then carefully close the hood. It should have raised the resting position of the hood from the rear allowing for the added height of the wingtop protectors.
Either that or it's made the problem worse, meaning that the plastic pieces were already in the "high" mode.
Anyway, this worked for me in my previous D90. Yours may be different.
Good luck
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey, Cool fix Art!
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Thanks for help everyone. Unfortunately it's raining pretty hard today so this will have to be a weekend job. I'll post back with the final results.

Thanks again.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:32 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Thanks a lot, Art. I think I need to do that on mine too. Joe, ironically, I too put wing top protectors on mine today. I have the same problem. I hope Art's idea works. BTW, how did you drill the holes for the two rivets in the protector under the roll cage? I was thinking of renting a right angle drill. Silly to do that for four holes. Also, did you have trouble getting the supplied rivets to work? (Mine were from D.A.P.) I'll have to check out that alignment problem. Later.
Old January 4th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Mine didn't use rivets at all so I don't know. I ended up buying genuine LR ones from West Chester LR listed in the specials section. Not cheap, but easy to install. They use 5 screwhead bolts on each wingtop protector, plus the screws that hold the went in place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions