Million Little Pieces - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
Where can i get a heated windscreen and windshield? Would be great for Tahoe this season. Couldn't find anything on roversnorth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Very strange on the highway. haha. You never realize just how loud other cars actually are at highway speeds.
So true - I see smaller cars or minivans on the highway and I am really surprised by how loud they are. Modern sound dampening does some wonders.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:22 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1
Got the Windscreen in, thanks Eric at AB. Real Good price easy to install, $109 for the window, $40 bucks to get put in.
Tom, who put in in for you??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
A local guy on LI,(On the Spot) I brought it to him, it looked pretty easy, took 2 guys 10 minutes
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

A lot of home market English cars had tempered windscreens well into the mid-1980's - if you look in back issues of many English car magazines from the 80's you'll see ads for temporary emergency windscreens (basically a piece of clear plastic that would be taped into place) that were designed to get you home or to the nearest glass shop. During the big rush of gray market vehicles into this country during the 1980-85 time frame a lot of windshields had to be swapped out when the cars were brought over here.

$109 for a new windshield??? That's great - how much was shipping? Mine's cracked and needs to be replaced.
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I think the shipping was $45

Follow-up Post:

My mistake, shipping was $34.90. I'm in NY, so its close, got it in 1 day.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
I assume horizontal lines go across the windshield, similar to how rear windows would? If so, how annoying is that?
Probably will take some time to get used to it. My wife's LR3 has a heated windshield and when I drive it, the first few minutes, I always ask myself what's wrong with my eye sight. After a few minutes, it does not bother me anymore. But I will focus of the lines once in a while when driving.... just annoying, but again, I only drive it once in a while when she let me. (and I assume the lines have the same shape on the LR3 windshield than on the 110 glass..... likely to be different, the LR3 lines are kind of wavy IIRC).

Follow-up Post:

[QUOTE=JackW]A lot of home market English cars had tempered windscreens well into the mid-1980's/QUOTE]
Same on most cars in Europe. Not sure when laminated glass was required, but I remember in the early 80's having my parents put a hole in the cracked windshield to get out of the highway (WV rabbit 1st generation, that happened in France).

edit:
I just checked, laminated glass in France is only required since June 20th, 1983 (based on some Geneva law, so maybe it applied to most of Europe at that time?) [source: http://www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...ndex.html#faq2 ].
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Just saw this (old) thread. A rock hit me on the highway the other day, now I have a chip that is spidering a tiny bit. Safelite wants $186 to repair it... which is just about the price (before shipping and install) for a totally new windshield.
Thoughts? good shop in the DC area? I've called around and they're all convinced that a defender's windshield is a very hard to find, not flat, hard to install possibly custom part.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

AB, RN, dealers etc. all have the windscreen. Windscreen+gasket+install should be around $250. Repairs suck in my experience as they look like crap.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
AB, RN, dealers etc. all have the windscreen. Windscreen+gasket+install should be around $250. Repairs suck in my experience as they look like crap.
I tend to agree on repairs, the chip is right on the other side of the rear-view though, i'd never see it driving haha.

Thanks i'll keep calling around. I've been quoted $750+ for it installed locally due to its "rarity"
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

You have to be kidding me Im on like my 3rd or 4th windscreen now.
1: Its flat glass, thats cake to those guys. My old man bought and had installed for less then a 100 total way back around 1998'ish. (my fault)
2: Havent bought glass from any of the rover suppliers yet, cause its flat glass.
3: Its way way to easy for a pro to install.

2cents
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
RARE ? Thats BS ! its a flat DOT approved laminate glass. A friend of mine that has a glass shop pulled out a huge sheet of the stuff and we made the side windows in my boat out of it. Nothing rare or odd about it. I'd send you to him but he's in Mass.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I have been thru 4 windshields over the years and I always go to a local shop and have it replaced for less than $100.4 in 15 years not too bad for New Mexico! Very easy install..............
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:44 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I feel soooo much pride when one of my posts come back to the top!
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:46 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

btw anyone have prices for Heated these days
What does it take to wire one?

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:44 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
RARE ? Thats BS ! its a flat DOT approved laminate glass. A friend of mine that has a glass shop pulled out a huge sheet of the stuff and we made the side windows in my boat out of it. Nothing rare or odd about it. I'd send you to him but he's in Mass.
coming from a CJ and TJ (also flat) you're preaching to the choir...

I guess if its not for a '99 civic they consider it rare
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Thoughts? good shop in the DC area? I've called around and they're all convinced that a defender's windshield is a very hard to find, not flat, hard to install possibly custom part.
Defender windshield _is_ flat. Not sure how "difficult" it is to find, got mine replaced by my insurance company a few years ago (less than 3 years ago) and it took the installation company maybe a week to order it and come to my truck to install it.
Make sure you replace the seal at the same time.

I was told (and will do it if/when I have to pay for it) to ask a local window/glass company to cut one for me, that _should_ be cheaper than buying a replacement. Apparently, this is done commonly for flat-glass vehicules (Jeeps and older trucks/vehicules).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

With all the cracks/breaks the external rock guard laminate plastic layer you can get applied sounds like a good investment.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Andrew.

Can you tell me what brand/kind of rock guard laminate plastic layer you recommend? I got a 6" crack in my windshield today when I was up in the mountains. I plan to replace the windshield but hearing that some people in this thread have had this problem over and over, I'd like to see if there is extra measure you can take to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
With all the cracks/breaks the external rock guard laminate plastic layer you can get applied sounds like a good investment.
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:43 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I got a quote from a local shop that would cut and fit a heated windshield in my D90 for 300$ canadian. All I had to do is put in the wiring, which is not too complicated once you get your hands on a timer (which I have not looked for yet).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions