Defender Source Forum banner

milk chocolate brown LT230 fluid

Tags
lt230
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cdb 
#1 ·
Drained the t-case today and it was the color of milk chocolate fluid. This is the old LT230 out of my 1994 D90 with about 75,000 miles on it. The t-case was installed less than 200 miles ago (about 6 months) and fluid added then.
Never seen or heard of this before.
Any ideas.
Also, the transmission (ZF) was a quart low.

#4 ·
Yes, I wondered about a leak between trans and t-case, but I think Jeff is right about the rust. The t-case has been sitting at Roverhybrids for 4 or 5 years since it was pulled to swap in the 300 TDI.
I'll drain the fluid again after some miles and check the trans fluid level and that should give me a better idea.
Haven't offroaded since the LT230 was installed and it smelled fine.

Thanks for the help

#6 ·
That is usually a sign of water mixing with the oil..are all your breathers on and run high or as someone asked have you been off reading or through high water....when a hot trans or transfer case gets cooled quickly I.e. going through water it rapidly cools and contracts, this can cause the trans to suck in water if the breather is blocked or not on..it can suck it in through seals or wherever it likes..

#7 ·
Haven't been through any water since the t-case was installed. Certainly not deep enough to reach the top of the case.
I thought the same thing when I saw the color and it did look like water mixed oil. That really stumped me since it has been in the garage for 6 months while I did other things to it.
But, just to be sure I'll check it.

Thanks Shayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.