Milemarker Winches? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2005, 01:15 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Milemarker Winches?

What is the story on these guys, I know they have a good bit of history being used on hummers and the military seems to swear by them (though those are the hydraulic versions)? It just seems like a hell of steal for what the specs look like I figure there has to be a catch somewhere, right? I found the 9000 and 12000 lb models shipped to Atlanta for well under 600 bucks and there is also an se version (se9500 and se12000). No clue what the difference between the e series and se series. If anyone could help me out, trying to weigh the options, I know just about everyone is partial to either the warns or superwinch husky, any suggestions or reasons why milemarker is too good to be true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't know too much about Milemarker, but from what I have heard is that the Hydo winches are good, but you need a good pump to run them. As far as the electric, I have not heard much, I don't think too many people run them. How much winching are you planning on doing? Oh and I am not partial to any of those winches, my plans are for PTO.
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

What type of PTO setup are you planning, Mike?

As for the Milemarker, it's always useful to find out who really buys the product - the commercial or recreational user. For instance, you never see Ramsey's with permanent magnets on utility trucks. Sometimes that can cut through personal bias and tell you whether it will work with what you need and want.
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have a LT230 PTO, and aBig old PTO winch from a Series Rover. Not sure how I'm going to mount the winch, not sure how I am going to do the shafts, and I am not sure how to set the clutch on the PTO, but I Have a PTO! That was a hard part to track down.
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I've got a spare ramsey pto that was mounted on a willys (and supposedly came off a city maintenance truck). Don't the Aussies use pto's extensively? Are there parts for a Defender that route?
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:57 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Doesn't look like anyone has much to say as of yet regarding the winches but one other question, would the 12000 lb model be overkill? I know most guys run around 9000 lb between the warns and everything else. It seems like for only 50 bucks more I might as well get it?
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Christan, what kind of wheeling do you do? How often do you think you will need the winch? The 12000 I think would be overkill, you can always double line back on yourself if you need more pulling capacity. Also the 12000 is slower then the 9500. I don't think I know of anyone running a milemarker, but I just read a few threads on the pirate forum, and I have to say that I would not buy one, they seem to break at the worst time, but their customer service is VERY good, and they seemed to get replacment parts quick.

If I was putting an electric winch on mine, I would buy an old warn 8274, buy one used and rebuild it yourself, you will have a GREAt winch on your rig and you'll know how to fix it if it breaks.
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
jabber
m j

Mike, you should get one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...505369692&rd=1
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber
Mike, you should get one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...505369692&rd=1
LOL, NO! do you know what that came off of?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...004-46,GGLD:en
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've got a 9k milemarker on mine, but i've actually never used it yet. All I can give you is some research that I've done.

The Good: You can pull all day with a milemarker, not like electrics with the limited duty cycles. 4 Wheeler did an interesting test when the milemarker first hit the market, and in most heavy load situations it was slower than the electrics, but never smoked out from overuse like the electrics did. You don't need the big honking electrical wires, and associated mess, that runs right under your behind. They also run cooler, which means if you want to run synthetic line, you don't need the super-expensive WARN and Ramsey types. (electic winches use the steel lines as a heat-sink, and you need the pricier synthetic lines so that they don't melt)

The Bad: Gotta have a running engine to run the winch.

A specific issue with the MileMarkers and Land Rovers is that the truck uses a much lower pressure power-steering pump than your typical US trucks do. The winch will work, but the line speed will be slower. You can't just swap a higher pressure pump in either, it will blow out the seals on the P/S box. Also, make sure to flush out the entire power steering system very well before installing. The extra load will really make the fluid work to the limit, and you don't want to have old/contaminated fluid fail on you when you really need it.

Some folks who don't have an air conditioner mount a second pump like a GM unit and use that exclusively for the winch in order to get the higher pressure. Great Basin Rovers can also get a transfer-case PTO driven hydraulic pump that is even higher pressure (not listed on the website, but I've e-mailed him about it in the past). I'm eventually going to go this route, but with all the wonderful wheeling here in the suburbs of Long Island... I just can't justify the expense yet.

Personally, I'd spring for the 12k winch if the difference is that small. The 9k was on the truck when I bought it, so it's what I've already got. Also, if you get synthetic line, make sure to get a compatible fairlead. The steel hawse, and roller fairleads can abrade the line. They make aluminum hawse fairleads specifically for the synthetics.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Mike.

Did those folks say WHERE they got the replacement parts? Milemarker refused to sell to me directly. I need a new control cable, and the places I have tried so far can't order parts either.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:18 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

If I were to rebuild an 8274 how hard and expensive would it be to do? I am reasonably mechanical and figure worst case I could always give it a shot and if not find someone with experience. There is a guy on pirate with one for sale in SC for 650 but I would rather spend less on something used. There is also a warn m12000 for around 675 on ebay so I am slighty torn at the warn end. Mike, thanks for the MM heads up, I got on pirate and searched ( I had yet to register until today) and saw all the bad. Lots of info I know, I guess I am just trying to get the biggest, best, cheapest...the age old formula. Let me know what you guys think
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:15 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I too looked into the milemarker when it came time to buy a winch. I did the research I even had milemarker send me their promo DVD. I ended up with a 10k Husky superwinch. The reason being the whole steering pump thing. Additionally like Hans mentioned, you have to have the truck running. Worst case scenario you break down and can't get your truck from one spot to another, with a Hydraulic winch, you're screwed; however, with an electric winch you can still get the truck off the trail/road to a safe spot to try and fix the problem. What happens if you are doing a water crossing and the engine stops and won't start again, with an electric winch you can get yourself out. I also have to disagree with Hans about the fairlead, you can use a rolling fairlead as long as it is new. What can happen with one that has been used with metal cable is it may have burrs and nicks from the line in the rollers. When you have that and run synthetic it may damage the line. Since you are buying a new winch and if it comes with roller fairlead you would be fine using that. Another myth about the over heating issue is that yes the winches do get hot but the problem lies mostly when winching out, something that is not often done. When winching in with synthetic, it should be fine. I know the Warn 8274 and Superwinch (Husky as well as the EP) winches and good electrical winches to run synthetic on. If you go synthetic, my recommendation, get a good line. One more thing to consider, if you already have a winch bumper, that may dictate what kind of winch you can get, unless you plan on changing that too.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:42 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I agree with the concerns of having to have a running engine in order for the winch to work. However, I am not all that impressed with warn (I have one still). If you are stuck and H2O happens to come over the winch as I have been it is quite frustrating when that winches solenoids all fry because H2O has made its way into the housing. So how you plan to use that winch becomes the determining factor for me. If I am ever around H2O, I don't want a warn, period.
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Christian, check out Bill Vista's write up on the warn 8274

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...274/index.html

Hans, check out this thread over there, they throw out a few names at milemarker.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...274/index.html

As far as the electric getting you out of a tuff spot when the engine is off, well you won't go too far on an electric winch with the engine off, drawing 300 to 400 amps kills a battery fast. To me, mechanical is just cool, but I have been in a few spots that an electric winch just doesn't seem to cut it. Like what Mike said, Jimmy has one of those new Warns that they show in the mags running in a river I think they may claim it's water tight), well he had it under water and sometimes it would not winch out, or in. Not something I want to worry about when I'm stuck. All winches have their weak points it's just deciding on what you want to live with.
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:02 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Will a warn 8274 fit on an arb winch bumper without altering?
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't think it will fit unless you do some cutting.
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:47 AM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

If you're using a Warn winch, mount the solenoid in the engine bay up high. Eliminates worry about getting wet and not working.
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:51 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenk
Will a warn 8274 fit on an arb winch bumper without altering?
I think only the Warn non-integrated winches (9000, not the 9000i) will fit into the arb bumper. Forget an 8274.
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Mike, thanks for posting the information on the rebuild on the 8274. Is it possible for a warn dealer to do a rebuild on one? Or do you send it to warn and they will do it? My concern now, mostly being sold on the rebuild idea (not to mention that winch looks like it would swallow an H2 whole), is whether it will fit. I have a custom rockware bumper and think theres a pretty good bit of space. Is it possible to hack a hole in the grill if necessary so long as it doesn't butt up to the radiator?
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

First off to all the non belivers

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/8274.html

Yes people cut the grill to fit the winch inbetween the radiator and the bumper, it's just plastic and I have seen a few cut around the winch. I don't think a Warn dealer would rebuild it for you, but I think there is a guy on Pirate that rebuilds them and resells them. It is taller, but it doesn't take up much more room, and once you have seen them used a few times you will be sold on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch