Milemarker Winches? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

8274 also holds a respectable amount more cable that most other winches.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Is 650 too much for a used 8274 that has been fully rebuilt other than the motor? Seems a little high, but it looks like these winches hold value better than any piece of 4x4 equipment I have ever seen
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

650 seems fair, do they have picks? I am not intrested in buying one so I'll give my $.02 without threat of buying it. Does it come with a cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2005, 12:06 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I got the guy down to 600, the thing is totally rebuilt minus motor and has cable. It is old though, going on 30 years old though. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=warn+8274. It doesn't have the controller though, the original version from warn which isn't a big deal but just an additioanl thing to purchase
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'd go for it!
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:24 PM
gali
Gali k

Hi there,

I'll get back to the original question, probability of using a hydraulic winch such as the mile marker.

I drive a D110 runs on diesel, so I'm not worried about loosing a winch power since shut down of the engine.

The engine runs well also at deep water crossing, and actually when I go off road I never shut it down (except when need some silent). So hydraulic seems better to me.

To fit a hydraulic winch it is not recommended to use the original power steering pump since:

1.This pump belongs to the steering cycle. You donít wanna destroy it.

2.This pump gives you sufficient flow rate (GPM) with a nice pressure output, BUT right at the output you have a restrictor, which reduce the pressure down. It's good for the steering box but not sufficient for the winch.

3.Both costumers on the same pump will boil the ATF liquid. At most of the winching period you use the steering system to "fix" yourself.

Try to get a PTO hydraulic, oil cooler & a reservoir can for the extra oil. Or use a ZF belted pump with the rest of the kit (includes brackets, belt, bolts EctÖ). I recommend the second option Ė it's more cheep & common.

I use those at a quite hot region (Israel) & it never failed, also used it at the army on a humvy & land rovers. Very reliable system,

but on the civil life it fits to rally vehicles which donít trust on the electric engines due to heavy duty usage.

Best regards,

Gali.

Old April 14th, 2005, 07:31 AM
gali
Gali k

get also a nice website for those:
http://www.4x4winches.com/prices.htm
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:29 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Is anyone out there running a milemarker hydro winch (non-pto)? If so what is your set up.
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:21 AM
gali
Gali k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenk
Is anyone out there running a milemarker hydro winch (non-pto)? If so what is your set up.
i'm running a milemarker with a hydro pump of a citroen berlingo. it's an electrical pump.
i also use a cooler & an extension tank of ZF (similar to the steering kit).

any ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch