Mileage vs. Value - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Cayoweso
Ed Paez
1997 Defender 90 Soft Top

Mileage vs. Value

I am looking to buya D90 , the guy had it serviced and at the last service his mileage showed 37,000 then 8 months later he had it serviced again to replace the speedometer that stopped working. The new speedo now shows 17k but since there was a gap (as to when the speedo broke and when he had it fixed) I am told it is a TMU (total mileage unknown) how much does this affect the value of the D90? Does the 97 come with a digital recorder of the actual miles or is it guess work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The odometer on a 97 is an electronic digital piece. I really cant say how much it would affect the value though, other than it would reduce it somewhat. But how much, I have no idea.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

How much do you trust the story about it? Condition is KING, but that's a dark mark on the vehicle forever-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Ed;

A friend of mine had a 97 and the speedo went out. Dealership replaced it and placed two aluminum embossed labels indicating the mileage and date of replacement. In other words it was clearly documented. One of the labels was placed on the drivers door jamb and the other in the service manual. Personally, I did not feel that it affected the value given that it was well documented and on the up and up. If however you suspect something was fishy, I would just be certain to scutinize the vehicle that much more. Overall condition far outweighs the mileage discrepency.

Troy
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

When you have the plates installed that show the odometer replacement, that doesn't equal TMU (true mileage unknown) because they document the miles on it at the time of replacement. There are two kinds of 'em- documented ones and undocumented ones.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

It is rather stupid of LR not to keep the mileage reading in the ECU.

What's the date of the service at 37K?
Is he the original owner?
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

The mileage is stored in the engine ECU and you may be able to read it and compare with the owner's statements. But it's not a quick and easy thing - there is interpretation - and you'll need an Autologic or other specialized tool.

As regards the "TMU" question . . . by current Federal law, there is no grey area. Either the odometer reflects the actual mileage, or it does not. The subject truck does not. Therefore the "odometer does not reflect the actual mileage" box must be checked on the odometer statement.

That does not prevent a seller from offering an explanation, but it has no legal weight under current Federal odometer law.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Cayoweso
Ed Paez
1997 Defender 90 Soft Top

He is the original owner, who used the vehicle recreationally rather than his primary mode of transport. In March 2001 according to LR the mileage was 37000, then in November 2001 (8 months) when he replaced it at LR the mileage at LR's records show 1 mile. No plates, no other info other than the new speedo now shows 17,000m. LR claims it could have broken right after the 37000 service and it took him 8 months to bring it in. How and who knows how to use the autologic.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So, assuming he purchased it in March 97, he drove it 37K miles in 4 years and then 17K in 4.5 years. Inconsistent but explainable.

Since John has confirmed the actual mileage is in the ECU there's no reason not to have it extracted as part of a professional inspection.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Ed, you're looking at a 97 truck with 54-60k on it. That's roughly 5k/year. Not bad for a purely recreational vehicle.

Your original question asked whether this would affect the value of the vehicle. On some vehicles it might have more effect than with a Defender. As someone else stated, condition is far more important than mileage. Having it checked out professionally is, in my opinion far more important. The demand for Defenders in good condition far outweighs some mileage discrepancy.

With regard to you selling it later, the question is how long you plan to hold on to the vehicle. If you plan on driving it for the next five years (and keep records), then there shouldn't be any problem at all when you go to sell.

The one big exception here would be if you're planning a ground up restoration and then plan on selling the truck some place like the Barrett-Jackson auction -- something fairly unlikely for a Land Rover.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

On paper - yes the value will be affected. In reality, probably minimal. As others have stated, condition is MUCH more important and defenders are not a dime a dozen. As time goes on and the truck gets older, this should become less and less of an issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions