Mile Marker - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Mile Marker

HI9000 is my new tool. I installed it on the power steering of my 110. I just quick tested it by pulling the truck in the driveway (it's uphill alot). I haven't been able to test it truly but, so far, it work well. Speed wise, I tried both high and low gear. Low gear is for maximum pulling power rather then speed but, from memory, it is faster then an electric winch. High gear is pretty fast and is able to pull the truck. Well, for now it brings a smile on my face. It was rainy and cold, as many already know, I don't have a place to work except the driveway. A non flat, half rock and mud surface. I'm now ready for work! I apologize if it ain't the right place to post this, but sometimes things goes right!
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2011, 04:03 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

The MM hydro winches are pretty good. Their electric winches suck. But Hi-gear should only be used to spool in the line. Do not use Hi-gear to pull a load with.

I still do not understand why people put hydro winches on vehicles, though.
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
The MM hydro winches are pretty good. Their electric winches suck. But Hi-gear should only be used to spool in the line. Do not use Hi-gear to pull a load with.

Totally agree. PS is problematic like crazy even on good pumps, and adding to it is a big risk for no reward.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I basically got my MM hdyro for free...
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
I basically got my MM hdyro for free...
lol. Okay, thats the first really good reason I have seen!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post

The big reason is that if you set them up right, you can pull all day long at max load, without breaking a sweat. Faster too, under heavy load, than an electric. Of course a properly set up hydraulic means a dedicated pump and fluid cooler...not just the dinky ps pump.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I run mine off the ace pump on my d2...I've had it since 2002...
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The big reason is that if you set them up right, you can pull all day long at max load, without breaking a sweat. Faster too, under heavy load, than an electric. Of course a properly set up hydraulic means a dedicated pump and fluid cooler...not just the dinky ps pump.

-Hans
If your engine is running or your pump doesn't go boom.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 30th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
God, I still have nightmares of a truck with one running from the stock PS pump. It was so slow, I thought it was broken. We winched 5 trucks in the time he winched the same section.

With proper hydraulics, I'm sure they are great....
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
God, I still have nightmares of a truck with one running from the stock PS pump. It was so slow, I thought it was broken. We winched 5 trucks in the time he winched the same section.

With proper hydraulics, I'm sure they are great....
I would guess that a PS pump is the most frequent failure offroad of any component. When I race, I carry two spares to go 100 miles.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions