Milage/ Speedometer calibration? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Milage/ Speedometer calibration?

My speedometer needs to be calibrated: it runs fast by about 10 MPH. My question is, does this have any affect on the miles on my odometer? I seem to be racking up the miles faster that usual, and I have no clue how the mechanism works. Does the fact that the speedometer is fast have any bearing on how the odometer clocks the miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Nate - you're not running stock size tires are you? Dont you have 33's or something?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

yea, 33`s with 4.10 gearing. It just seems that what should be an 9 mile trip to work is 12 miles with the defender.

By the way, a while back you offered to help me figure out why my clutch is grinding, but it seems to have stopped. Thank you for the offer though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Changing tire size and gearing will absolutely effect your speedo and odo readings. I'd have to sit and think to get it right as to what mod has what effect. I know there are some methods of compensating for the change with new, electronic speedos, but there is no way to simply recalibrate yours. You have a very simple gear turning a very simple cable which clicks over another mile every time it spins 1,000 times.

My truck reads fast even without radical mods. The mileage is right on though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo