metal shavings on trans plug - any concerns? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM
WI-ROTTIE
Pete Bethke
'95 D-90 SW #305

Unhappy metal shavings on trans plug - any concerns?

OK - so I finally got around to picking up some Redline MTL for my '95 R380 trans and when I drained the old fluid there were substantial metal particles on the magnetic drain plug (see photo). I have only owned the truck for about a year and it now shows 40k miles. I have not had any shifting issues to speak of so the metal shavings were a bit of a surprise when the plug came out. Can anyone comment if this is at all normal for a truck w/40k on it?

I was also thinking of running some less expensive MTL for a few hundred miles and then drain it again to try to get any remaining metal particles out. Is this overkill?
Attached Images

'95 SW #305
'05 LR3 HSE
'07 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thats fine, mine looked like that when I first changed out the fluid for MTL around 42k. I wouldnt worry about trying to flush it out.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
JBfoot
Joe Barefoot
'94 D90, '07 D110, '08 LR2, '09 D90

Don't know about 40k, but at 87K my plug looked like that. Just put Redline in mine too. It helped with the 1st-2nd grind a good bit...still need to shift pretty slowly between those gears. I'm guessing that most of the shavings in your case ended up on the plug...or at least that's what I hope (for my sake too!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
WI-ROTTIE
Pete Bethke
'95 D-90 SW #305

thanks guys - I didn't know if what was on there was normal or if there was some reason for concern. I am anxious to see how the redline works in comparison after reading everyone elses experience.
'95 SW #305
'05 LR3 HSE
'07 RR
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I have a picture just like that when I changed mine for the first time. I was going to post it but was too lazy.

-Neil
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Don't worry too much about it, I had the same thing on my LT77.
I used a magnet on a flexy reach to scavenge for bits around the bottom of the trans case that came out furry also, it ran great untill i snapped the chassis 8 years later.

how about a competion to see who got the fuzziest plug.!

Gren
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Hmm, I've had that on my 110 and 90, but I think its just normal wear and tear. I just put in some redline in the 90, and it does shift better, its also quieter, I had this weird grinding on 3rd and 4th while decelerating. Pretty expensive stuff, wish there was a place I could buy it in bulk.

Robert Deniro
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I was changing my fluids today and found the fuzziest plug on this old thread! It kinda scared me, but then I pulled the extension case plug with the filter and there were chunks, small but still chunks, that fell out. One thing that came out was this collet or collar thing, see pic, and that really scared me. Am I in trouble here? Every time I try to do something to improve my rig I find something that discourages me. What the F?! It was just routine maintenance but now I feel that this will be painful. I left it at work because I didn't trust it.

Thanks for any help

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	31802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	31803  

Old October 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

dip the plug in acetone or solvent to get rid of the gear oil and then take a look at it. It looks worse than it is and if you run it through your fingers it will probably feel like a cream. The magnet is really there to catch BIG CHUNKS so they don't screw you up completely. Even with a small chunk on there you are probably good to go for a few thousand more miles if not forever. I've seen chunks gone from ring gears and just let them be, no problems.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

That little piece looks like a roll pin. However,I have no idea what's held together in a transmission with one.

Mike
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:46 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I had one of those pop out on me once on my old Scrambler transmission - it held one of the shift forks in place. I was lucky it didn't pop out while shifting between 2nd and 3rd; it would have been like trying to put the transmission in two different gears at once. It was a cheap fix for me - pull shift mechanism (including the forks) off the top of the transmission and have a transmission shop put in a new roll pin: $15.

Looking at the R380 diagrams, it appears they use some sort of pins (can't tell from the diagram for sure), and it's likely to be roll pins, given that the pins appear to be pressed in. It also appears you can't get to the shift forks (if that's what the roll pin is for) without taking the transmission out of its case - ouch. This is from the Rave manuals (page 33, 34 from the R380 overhaul section).

I personally would be very wary of driving it without knowing where that pin came from.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

That is a roll pin. Not sure what it goes to. Me, I would run it until it dies.

Ron
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Me, I would run it until it dies.
I like your style Ron! I am thinking the same thing. I did't have any issues before I found it, so I might not worry too much. Nobody here seems too concerned either. It is the weaker D suffix box so it might get swapped in the future anyways.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin