Metal Dog Guard for NAS? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:12 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Does the Farmtek flooring come in PP only or does it also come in Steel and Alu? Has anyone found other square grid material in steel or Alu? Mcmaster has some but not what I'm looking for.

I bought some used industrial shelving. I'm just guessing that it is about 2" square mesh of 1/4" wire. About $20 got me enough to make a barrier behind the seats and window guards for my 90. I attached it to the internal cage. I had a section of shelving left over, and it came in handy for covering the hole where some idiot drove through our antique iron fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

John,

I admire your plight to save money... I was thinking of going the same route too but am not sure about the edges. What did you use for the edge, as to not cut yourself or your K-9's?

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:46 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
What's the attachment point for that setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros View Post
John,

I admire your plight to save money... I was thinking of going the same route too but am not sure about the edges. What did you use for the edge, as to not cut yourself or your K-9's?

Thank you.

The shelving had edges, and I utilized them where possible. Otherwise, if it looked like something sharp would be dangerously exposed, I smoothed it down and/or tried to make sure it would not be accessible. I've been carrying five Portuguese Water Dogs in it for five or so years, and I haven't had any problems, other than some rattling that I've had to eliminate. The dogs seem happy enough with it.

------ Follow up post added May 27th, 2011 08:54 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
What's the attachment point for that setup?
Internal roll cage.
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

LRSERIES.com ... 160 pounds shipped. Best price anywhere... Cheap shipping.

Go to the site and throw in the part #... Fast email too.

Later-

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Looks great. Keep us posted. You have a 110, right? Cage? Looking at it today I doubt it'll fit mine. There is roll cage behind the front seats on the interior. I'm probably going to have to make something that attaches to the rear of that cage.

Quote:
LRSERIES.com ... 160 pounds shipped. Best price anywhere... Cheap shipping.

Go to the site and throw in the part #... Fast email too.

Later-
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM
AgRover
Adin
1997 Defender 90 SW Badge #2493

Dog Guard for NAS SW

Did anyone find a dog guard that will work with an NAS SW? I have a 1997 and can't find anything that will work with the internal roll cage. If you found something let me know where you got it. Does anyone have pics of a good solution.
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

RN has one on clearance, no pictures though - says D90/110; does not specify NAS or ROW...

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...0-and-110.aspx
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
AgRover
Adin
1997 Defender 90 SW Badge #2493

Thanks. I just tried to call them to see what it actually is. Unfortunately, they are closed for the holiday. I sent them an email.
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:52 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Looks great. Keep us posted. You have a 110, right? Cage? Looking at it today I doubt it'll fit mine. There is roll cage behind the front seats on the interior. I'm probably going to have to make something that attaches to the rear of that cage.
I have the same vehicle as you. If you look where the avatar's are in the post, you'll see that most people list their vehicles.

The devil is in the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgRover View Post
Did anyone find a dog guard that will work with an NAS SW? I have a 1997 and can't find anything that will work with the internal roll cage. If you found something let me know where you got it. Does anyone have pics of a good solution.
Our vehicles are setup the same, sans transmissions. The one I listed is the one you need for a D90 that does not have the rear bulkhead... as ours don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
RN has one on clearance, no pictures though - says D90/110; does not specify NAS or ROW...

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...0-and-110.aspx

There is a picture, if you click on 'View Larger Image'... There you will see that the one offered for sale is without the bottom section of the cage. The part number I purchased has TWO parts, top & bottom.

I paid about $260 U.S.D. SHIPPED from out of the country on the correct part number. In addition, RoversNorth confirmed that what I purchased from LRSERIES.com, the part number I listed, is, in fact... The correct one for our vehicle(s).

Once again, the devil is in the details.

Have a good weekend fella's.

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I had Brain fart. You were talking about rear seats and I jumped to conclusions.

So they confirmed it will fit the NAS? I'm surprised. Looking forward to seeing install pictures. Thanks!

Quote:
I have the same vehicle as you. If you look where the avatar's are in the post, you'll see that most people list their vehicles.

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

It's cool bro-ham... They meaning RN correct? Well, let's just remember that they sell parts... They're not experts like ECR. They probably couldn't afford it. Nothing against anyone, but if I answered phones for a living I couldn't afford this vehicle, not the way that I maintain it anyways. (See post where I was titled the AMSOIL BITCH... hahaha!!! no kidding)

They were also the same one's to tell me that I could get the old style NAS D90 (METAL) key cut anywhere... and you can't. They've told me other 'pho-pah's' over the last 10 years with this truck, so I just take it with a grain of sand. But I used it in this post for emphasis purposes...LOL.

The roll-bar isn't the thing I'm worried about, I mean, at the very least it could be strapped in and not bolted and probably be just fine. It's the front seats that crank back BEHIND the roll-bar... That's my worry. I'm 6'2" - 235 and it could be tricky. We shall see...

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm also 6'2". The seat back is a concern. I would remove the attachments points that it comes with. It looks like they attach to the headliner which sounds like a bad idea. I would weld on brackets so that you can attach it to the rear of the roll cage. Measure and figure out how far back it can go. That's my plan. You will also get less rattle issues if it's securely attached to the roll cage.
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:45 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

It went up in about 20 minutes via black zip ties that you can't even see. No hardware.
Fits almost perfectly behind roll bar, and no vibration. The top part mounds to the roll pad tightly via the zip ties and you can't even see them because you can use the space between the different sections of pad to hide the black zip ties.

Also larger than the roll bar so if you do hit something, the dogs stay put (as much as they can be right?)

I attached the installation instructions and a couple of pics.

There is a bottom to it as well, as you can see from the pics & the manual... I let mine touch the floor, and just zip tied it with 4 rubber buffers and it's just fine. I couldn't pull the thing off if I tried.

With letting the bottom section touch the floor a 2 or 3 inch (haven't measure it) gap. Good for giving them treats through the cage.

I think it will work out. Don't get me wrong, I could be wrong.... But at least I didn't use the arsenal of huge bolts to drill more holes in the truck. Screw that. This way I can take it out and put it back in, no problem, maybe 10 minutes tops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	39634   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	39635  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	39636   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	39637  

Old June 14th, 2011, 05:47 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

For some reason I can't upload the PDF... The max file size says 2.92 MB for PDF, and this one is 2.12 MB.

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:13 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
On the bottom, I'd be worried about metal on metal vibration and wear. I love zip ties, but they won't stop that. Some rubber inbetween should resolve that those.
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
On the bottom, I'd be worried about metal on metal vibration and wear. I love zip ties, but they won't stop that. Some rubber inbetween should resolve that those.
I believe I stated that... Once again, the devil is in
the details.

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the pics. It definitely fits, no doubt. Is it black? I though it was supposed to be grey. Would you mind sending me the installation PDF?

Thanks!
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Sent.

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the PDF. I'm going to order one as well now that I see that it fits with the roll bar without modification. Sorry to be redundant but I just want to confirm. You ordered this one, right: http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...TC50479&page=1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dog, nas