Media Blasting - NOVA area? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Media Blasting - NOVA area?

Guys : I have been looking at some new tools to buy as it seems cheaper to do so, looking at Craigslist & Harbor Freight etc as I need to do some blasting of:

a) a M416 trailer I just bought
b) probably some stuff on the Landies at some point

So, as I keep looking I ponder the questions -

DOES ANYONE ON HERE have some gear I could borrow/rent????

OR - do you have "a guy" that does it....probably better to let pro's do it...it is just that I have quotes from some places of $700!! Over twice what I paid for the trailer in the first place.

Anyway - hopefully someone can help out?

I am in Leesburg, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Try Evan at M&D machine shop a ring. He is located in Purcellville and a big fan of old 4x4s.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Try Evan at M&D machine shop a ring. He is located in Purcellville and a big fan of old 4x4s.
Where in Purcellville? Downtown somewhere, maybe?

I could probably consult the interwebs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
http://www.mdautomachine.com/

Just north of town.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I use Dominion Powder Coating in Manassas. Unfortunately, he uses steel shot so it's a bit harsh on soft metals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Cheers Russell - I will call him...not hopeful as all the shops I have tried so far want $700+...I could buy all the gear I need at 1/2 that and do it myself...I don't want to spend so much money on blasting it. Heck I used a 3500psi power washer the other day and it took all the paint of the foundation of my house!! I may give that a go for $59 rental fee...
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
No go with Evan on blasting - he doesn't have equip for big jobs - nice bloke though and he does "off the wall" metal fab and tube bending etc etc - he said he would be happy to help me build it up - metal hinged top and frame....so he was definitely a good call!!!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
No go with Evan on blasting - he doesn't have equip for big jobs - nice bloke though and he does "off the wall" metal fab and tube bending etc etc - he said he would be happy to help me build it up - metal hinged top and frame....so he was definitely a good call!!!
He does nice work. Speciallty is rebuilding old Chevy fuelies (engines) and Jeeps (total builds) that come in from all over the country. I even saw a Boss 429 block that was shipped from Detroit (and to think of all the machine shops between Detroit and here).
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:46 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Somewhat off topic. Craig, where'd you score the M416 trailer and what'd you pay for it?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
hehe...wouldn't you like to know.
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Posted that ^^^^ cause I saw you were online Russell....

So go to www.G503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18 - it can take a while for one to pop up, esp one that is in doable condition, inexpensive AND reasonably close by. It took me about 12months....no way was I going to pay $500. But they are always on there - little known secret - just dont tell the guys you are going to modify it into an expo trailer.

It needs a paint strip - but any one would to be painted the color I wanted. Here are some pictures below. As you can see it still has the original jerry cans (with one orig Jerry can) on the front side, plus underneath is all the USMC writing - kind of cool....I paid $300, and have a nice drive down to NC to pick it up tomorrow...good luck mate - well worth it!!!

When you do get one keep the link as they are a great source for information/parts etc - and you will be able to sell those stock wheels back on that forum for about $100ea - offsets prices...as well as the original lights if you decide to go LED....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailside-1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	49517   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailfrt-3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	49518  

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
oh and the original lunette - if you change it goes for $300++++ - crazy stuff I know - but....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
nova