Mechanical risk of regular highway commuting in a 2.5 NA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Mechanical risk of regular highway commuting in a 2.5 NA

I am currently commuting in my 110 for 70 miles a day, 5 days a week. 95% of the trip is 2 lane highway, where I average 60 MPH. My truck is a completely stock 110 SW with 1.6 T case, 2.5 NA, stock size tires and wheels. It performs fine and has shown no problems thus far.

My questions: what are the distinct mechanical risks of this much highway driving? Drive the 2.5 with 1.6 just once and you realize it was only ever meant to go across the farm, maybe down to the village. What parts of my preventative maintenance should I complete more frequently? What, if anything, will be more likely to go first? Finally, is this a bad idea? Or will it be fine so long as my ears can handle it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Nail in tire. If your drivetrain seals are old, the added crank case / gear box/transfer case pressure from freeway driving might blow some of them or cause them to leak.

Robert Deniro
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I am currently commuting in my 110 for 70 miles a day, 5 days a week. 95% of the trip is 2 lane highway, where I average 60 MPH. My truck is a completely stock 110 SW with 1.6 T case, 2.5 NA, stock size tires and wheels. It performs fine and has shown no problems thus far.

My questions: what are the distinct mechanical risks of this much highway driving? Drive the 2.5 with 1.6 just once and you realize it was only ever meant to go across the farm, maybe down to the village. What parts of my preventative maintenance should I complete more frequently? What, if anything, will be more likely to go first? Finally, is this a bad idea? Or will it be fine so long as my ears can handle it?

Thanks
.... these trucks have performed some of the toughest longest expeditions in history ... i wouldn't worry about your little drive on paved road.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:17 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
.... these trucks have performed some of the toughest longest expeditions in history ... i wouldn't worry about your little drive on paved road.
Ok thanks - thing is, I don't have a support vehicle following me on my 'little drive' or a dedicated team to PMCS is when I'm done for the day/week. Hence why I ask what, specifically, I should focus on in preventative maintenance based on my bias towards highway driving.

------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2013 07:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
If your drivetrain seals are old, the added crank case / gear box/transfer case pressure from freeway driving might blow some of them or cause them to leak.
Thanks -- noticed this exact issue recently and assumed it was due to add'tl pressure.

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:24 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Rovers like to be driven hard....

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Ok thanks - thing is, I don't have a support vehicle following me on my 'little drive' or a dedicated team to PMCS is when I'm done for the day/week. Hence why I ask what, specifically, I should focus on in preventative maintenance based on my bias towards highway driving.
I'd suggest simply following the land rover maintenance schedule would suffice. People use these as daily drivers the world over ... just like running any older vehicle have AAA card and few basic tools just in case.

------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2013 07:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Headlight switch and rear crossmember come to mind.

-Jeff
is that ironic or sarcastic ... i can't tell with your accent.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Get aaa. Check fluids often.

350 miles / week, 18200 / year. I don't see anything to worry about.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I would change to a 1.4 transfer case if it were me. You are probably sitting on the governer continuously. You save some fuel and some hearing with this box.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:25 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Kidneys and Ear Drums will go first. I have the same set up. I use it on weekends mostly and by the end of three-day weekends I'm ready for a break. By Friday I miss it again. I'd like to drive the same set with a 1.4 to see if the difference is worth the hassel.

Clay
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Kidneys and eardrums can be fixed with other changes if desired and it does not need to cost much.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

As soon as anything hiccups/leaks/vibrates more than normal, track it down and fix it. Don't let it go just because it's only an annoyance, because then you'll start ignoring other "annoyances". Mine's a daily driver and before I moved to a more remote location I put on 20,000 miles a year.

Older cars driven and maintained daily will be more reliable than a garage queen. You'll know when something's not right. Just give your ears a break. I've already got tinnitus - sucks big time.
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:53 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
As soon as anything hiccups/leaks/vibrates more than normal, track it down and fix it. Don't let it go just because it's only an annoyance, because then you'll start ignoring other "annoyances". Mine's a daily driver and before I moved to a more remote location I put on 20,000 miles a year.

Older cars driven and maintained daily will be more reliable than a garage queen. You'll know when something's not right. Just give your ears a break. I've already got tinnitus - sucks big time.
Wow, no shit! No lie, I just Googled -Ringing in the ear- two hours ago. I've noticed off and on for a couple days (funny after this past three day weekend with the 110 I just mentioned above). From what i read it sure sounds like I'm getting Tinnitus as well. My daily driver is a SW90 with a throaty flowmaster which is not helping matters either.
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:19 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
All good advice -- I will start to look into the cost and time of a t-case change but will probably just wait for a 200 tdi upgrade.

reference the tinnitus: I highly recommend ear protection for those of you who don't already use it. I've got it bad with some hearing loss just from years of rollin in M1A2's, MRAPs and HMMWVs. I don't want to be full deaf when I'm all ya'lls age so I rock the range-muffs when I drive.

Old January 25th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
All good advice -- I will start to look into the cost and time of a t-case change but will probably just wait for a 200 tdi upgrade.

reference the tinnitus: I highly recommend ear protection for those of you who don't already use it. I've got it bad with some hearing loss just from years of rollin in M1A2's, MRAPs and HMMWVs. I don't want to be full deaf when I'm all ya'lls age so I rock the range-muffs when I drive.
WHAT?

All kidding aside ear plugs that diminish but not block all sound (i use surefire EP4) go a long way to help on the extended drives. Sound absorbing foam/lining, AAA, and quality maintenance and repairs - should keep you happy with it for a daily driver for a long while.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:29 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've been driving a 2.5na in a DD truck like it was my last day on earth for at least 8yrs. It doesn't complain. I might now and then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:35 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I dd a d90 st for 14 yrs.... Tinnitus -check.

Way worth it though!
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Wow, DD for 8 years takes the cake. If you have any particular pointers on regular maintenance that would be great. Mine isn't leaking too bad yet. A spot or two but I wonder if I'm should be loyal to particular fluids.
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:00 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Just be loyal to regular maintenance and don't run the thing through mud bogs every weekend.
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:47 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I use Rotella 15/40 rated diesel oil and change it regularly. Change the fuel filter every 10k and adjust the valves replace the valve cover gasket every 10k. I run the oil bath filter and actually clean that out at 10k intervals. Thats about it, other than the timing belt at about 60k or 5yrs.....due for it's third now.
I did replace the injectors at about 70k miles.
Gets an honest 25mpg all day long and with the OD will handle highway speeds (much better than passengers). I love picking up customers at the train / bus station in this rig (62 IIA ST).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions