mechanical anti-theft system - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

mechanical anti-theft system

This Italian company sells an interesting mechanical anti-theft system.

http://www.mecklock.com/english/e_default.htm

Does anybody know if we can get something similar in the States?
Thanks
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CUORE_car.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	6095  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

looks good. I don't see why we (US Customers) can't order it.

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
its neat but it costs a lot. I think its several hundred pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I called months ago as I was obviously interested but they didn't tell me how much,and invited to go and visit them...

It's close to me but I haven't had the time yet
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was thinking about this. why not just pull the plug on the coil or the fuel pump relay? simple and effective
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

My point asking about some US supplier was the crazy price the Italians/Brits ask for the thing (if you're lucky getting a quote).
It seems to me it's pretty simple and easy to fabricate. Does anybody know who might be able to fabricate this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I was thinking about this. why not just pull the plug on the coil or the fuel pump relay? simple and effective
because a thief is able to go around that in 5 secs...
In the other hand the hydraulic system can be "bypassed" but the thief must be a mechanic + tools + a lot of time... I think this system is not perfect but definitely stops the occasional thief..

Pat

Old July 26th, 2006, 09:49 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

One of our customers just sent us one of these to put in his 110. It came from MUD-UK
phone # 01422 847704 or 01422 843397 are the phone #s on the flyers inside the box.

Its a nice piece, but just FYI it comes with all copper plumbing. We swtiched it over to SS lines instead, but the unit works well.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:30 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Speaking of Anti theft, anyone done something for the Tdi? Like a hidden button for the ignition, etc? I've had it on my list of things to do. Curious what others have done.
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

I am planning to make one for my 90, basically the core item is a key controlled hydraulic shut off valve. Jus haven't waded through the RS components catalogue yet to see what is available off the shelf. The rest is just a bit of plumbing on the clutch line

Old July 26th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.html
Meck Lock System® Valve Only: £370.00

Quote:
Speaking of Anti theft, anyone done something for the Tdi? Like a hidden button for the ignition, etc? I've had it on my list of things to do. Curious what others have done.
I have a hidden button that prevents the injection pump solenoid working normally if not pressed before to start the engine.

Quote:
I am planning to make one for my 90, basically the core item is a key controlled hydraulic shut off valve. Jus haven't waded through the RS components catalogue yet to see what is available off the shelf. The rest is just a bit of plumbing on the clutch line
It seems to me it isn't just a shut off, it is a one-way valve with some small "relief" to avoid keeping the system with high pressure for long periods if the brake was pressed accidentally when the system is armed.
Please let us know if you can make it, I'm interested.

Pat
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I wonder how many could easily diagnose a fuel pump relay? serious its easy cheap and very doable
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

It would stop a thief on a V8 90 as they need to be quick (unless they bring a flatbed!).
Anything you do out of the ordinary stereo shop alarm install will defeat a common thief as I don't think they have time to go looking for hidden switches and missing relays. I rather have a hidden switch or a missing relay than an alarm any day.

For fun when we remove alarm systems here at the shop we alwasy activate them and then see if we can remove the entire system without it going off. So far I've only had one go off on me and I've cut out dozens.

Old July 26th, 2006, 07:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have a 3 position fuel switching valve: front tank, rear tank, and off. The truck runs for about 30 seconds before it starts starving for fuel.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:26 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.html
Meck Lock System® Valve Only: £370.00

I have a hidden button that prevents the injection pump solenoid working normally if not pressed before to start the engine.

It seems to me it isn't just a shut off, it is a one-way valve with some small "relief" to avoid keeping the system with high pressure for long periods if the brake was pressed accidentally when the system is armed.
Please let us know if you can make it, I'm interested.

Pat
I was planning on locking the clutch rather than the brakes. For those thinking about locking the brakes have a look around at companies supplying brake lines and equipment for drag racers. They use a Line lock whch effectively locks the front brakes on

Old July 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne4x4
I was planning on locking the clutch rather than the brakes. For those thinking about locking the brakes have a look around at companies supplying brake lines and equipment for drag racers. They use a Line lock whch effectively locks the front brakes on
Be careful as here in the US most states will not allow a line lock style device in a street car. Micro locks and such are a no-no. Most inspection places have no clue about this stuff and will never catch it if you install it, but technically they aren't legal on the brake system.

Old July 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

The system can be installed on the brake, clutch or both, but I agree with ECR there might be legal issues involved if you touch the brake line, the same thing happens in UK.

Pat

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions