Mean Green Starters - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Marx-110
Simon Marxer
1993/Defender 110

Mean Green Starters

Does anyone have any experience with the Mean Green starters? They appear to to be a relatively easy install but are they worth the asking price? Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have one! easy to install, a real PITA to get the 2 bolts out that hold the old one on, is it worth it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Well it starts my 90 up fast! Even in the freezing New England mornings we have. I have a yellow top optima, and a MG starter, the only time the system has failed me was when the battery got drained from a short. How well does it work, the engine stalled under water a few times when I was stuck in a big mud hole (the starter was under about a foot of water), the Mean Green got it started with out a problem! Added benifits, it sounds cool!

Follow-up Post:

Hey are you comming to the MG-Rover Day this sunday at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA ? RTI ramp and a chance to meet some local rover guys in the BSROA club.

http://www.mot.org/Events/lawn.html
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Marx-110
Simon Marxer
1993/Defender 110

Awesome! What about their Alternators? Do you happen to know if they make one that fits the 110?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think they make one that fits but my stock one is still working so I am sticking with it until it dies or if I ever need a bigger one.
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Marx-110
Simon Marxer
1993/Defender 110

I didn't even know about it! That is right near where I grew up too. I have had quite a few night at Lars Anderson (low Police Presence for under age drinking). Unfortunately, I am headed to NY for the weekend but I wish I had known I would have defenitly made it. How do you find out about these events?
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

BSROA ( http://www.bsroa.com/about.htm ) I am a member. And the yahoo forum ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BSROA ). I keep telling you all this stuff in so that I can get you out on the trail!
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Marx-110
Simon Marxer
1993/Defender 110

Mike, I just got an email from Gary Schroeder and I am sending my check in today!
My current problem is that I have my truck in for its 60k service and John Robison in Springfield called me to tell me he is under my truck and there is no front cross member!!!!!! I had to do my clutch 2 months ago and the guy who did it locally, who I formerly considered a friend left it off. I called him and he told me I didn't need it anyway!
Ugggghhh! So, I am in a bad place right now and don't have my beloved vehicle, I am currently driving a rented Geo Metro. Ohhh! The horror!
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have the Mean Green alternator--one of those things that if it operates appropriately you never know that anything could be wrong. I have aftermarket accessories such as lights, a couple amps for the stereo, ect. and I never have any issues. I love having it and glad I do. I don't "notice" any difference, though.
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I got a bunch of left over cross members if you are having trouble finding one. Whatever shipping is they are not worth anything to me.

Jim Pendleton

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Marx-110
Simon Marxer
1993/Defender 110

Jim, thanks a ton but I already had to order one so I could get my vehicle back. I appreciate it though.
To all thanks again for all the input.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter