Mean Green or other HO Alternator - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Jay S
96 D1 TReK
what gauge wire should be used for the alt to battery?

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:21 PM
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Well my charging circut on my early ROW truck was 2/0 gauge from the battery to the starter soleniod.

The alt has two 8 gauge wires from the rear to the same stud on the starter.

To be honest i realy dont remember 100%

I did replace my frayed and corroded engine to frame ground cable with a new 0 gauge cable and ends.

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
There will be anywhere from 13.6-14.4 volts at the battery terminals with a healthy battery and the alternator charging. Think of the battery like a bank account. You take money out and you put money in. As long as you put in more than you take out, no problems. The Alternator is like your salary. Your radio, fridge and phones are like your bills. However in the case of your charging circuit, the currency isn't dollars, it's amperes.
So say your alternator is putting about 30 amps into the battery and you are only using 20, everything is great.
Alternators work by sensing the voltage of the battery. If this voltage falls below a certain point, the alternator turns on and charges. When the voltage gets high enough it turns off. Now the alternator is subject to engine speed as well. At low engine speeds, the alternator isn't making many amps. Even if it is charging, it is a very low rate so if the load is more than what is being put back, you are discharging the battery.
Two ways around that. Bigger battery bank or bigger alternator.
I won't even get into the advantages of a deep cycle and a starting battery and a split charging system.
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Toby Pond
"I won't even get into the advantages of a deep cycle and a starting battery and a split charging system."

I would love to hear your take on those things.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:19 AM
2010 puma. 90
If you want an easy option for charging two batteries and getting the most out of your existing altenator you can always fitt a battery to battery charger from, makes your altenator work hard and charges batteries quicker. I run a winch of my second battery and two chargers and it works for me and keeps standard parts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions