Maybe I'm an idiot... 2.5TD~200TDI - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 28th, 2015, 03:30 PM
champana
Richard Hardin
83 One Ten Hi-cap

Maybe I'm an idiot... 2.5TD~200TDI

So this is my first Rover diesel... Rover #14. It's an '83 One Ten with 2.5TD. From all of my reading, the Block, Crank, Timing/ Cover, Turbo, exhaust manifold, etc are the common between the 2.5 and the 200. Seems the only difference may the the injector system, head, maybe cam and pistons too... and some of the ancillaries. Is this correct? Is it feasible to drop those components on to my truck, add an intercooler, and be on my way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2015, 04:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by champana View Post
Maybe I'm an idiot... 2.5TD~200TDI
NO YOU'RE NOT!

There are some other differences, but this is something I've been looking into myself.
The 200 has 2 major design flaws that were corrected with the 300 TDI:
The bridge between the valves is too small and head prone to cracking and the coolant passes through the front cover which is sealed by a gasket, so when the coolant is pressurized the cover gasket blows and requires you to completely disassemble the front of the engine including the entire timing assembly (belts. gears, IP, and so on).

I have a 2.5 N/A to tear down and see how to build it into a TDI engine.
Notice the TDI and not 200TDI because I want to use a 300TDI head, pistons, injectors, and figure out how to make a front cover or modify an existing one to use something similar to the 300TDI "P" gasket.

Also you'll need a lot of 200TDI parts: oil pump, lower stiffening girtle, oil pan, and so on.
It is also possible to use the 300TDI IP.

The big milestone will be the pistons as am not sure the 300TDI ones fit the earlier rods.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM
champana
Richard Hardin
83 One Ten Hi-cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
NO YOU'RE NOT!
I may actually be an idiot...

Thought this was interesting
https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...-block.171270/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2015, 04:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

From the link:
"Before you even think about putting a 300tdi cylinder head on a 200tdi block you will have to be prepared to take the pistons out and swap the piston heads for those to suit a 300tdi. The combustion chamber in the 300tdi piston crown is in a different position to that of a 200tdi to compensate for the angle that the 300tdi injectors enter the head. If you use 200tdi pistons, the combustion chamber is in a completely different place and the diesel will not burn properly."

Yes before knowing any better, I did fit a 300TDI head onto a 200TDI engine and while it seemed to run fine, it was probably not the best choice due to the differences in the pistons.

BUT

If you're going to have to rebuild the engine and need new pistons anyway, why not 300TDI ones if they fit on the 2.5 rods?
The 300TDI rockers, manifolds, valve covers, thermostat housing, and injection lines are not that hard to come by.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old July 28th, 2015, 04:49 PM
champana
Richard Hardin
83 One Ten Hi-cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
From the link:
"Before you even think about putting a 300tdi cylinder head on a 200tdi block you will have to be prepared to take the pistons out and swap the piston heads for those to suit a 300tdi. The combustion chamber in the 300tdi piston crown is in a different position to that of a 200tdi to compensate for the angle that the 300tdi injectors enter the head. If you use 200tdi pistons, the combustion chamber is in a completely different place and the diesel will not burn properly."

Yes before knowing any better, I did fit a 300TDI head onto a 200TDI engine and while it seemed to run fine, it was probably not the best choice due to the differences in the pistons.

BUT

If you're going to have to rebuild the engine and need new pistons anyway, why not 300TDI ones if they fit on the 2.5 rods?
The 300TDI rockers, manifolds, valve covers, thermostat housing, and injection lines are not that hard to come by.
Right. Looks like people are using the 200/2.5 Front cover...
Old July 28th, 2015, 07:01 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

You are all mistaken! The 2.5 NAD is the gods promise that life is good ( and you will go deaf).! Who needs all that HP....really?
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old July 28th, 2015, 07:10 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
You are all mistaken! The 2.5 NAD is the gods promise that life is good ( and you will go deaf).! Who needs all that HP....really?
I can't wait for you to drive the 4JB1-T 2.8 liter Isuzu 110 Turbo Diesel.
Was on the upgrade of an overpass Saturday on the way to Mark's house to pick up the porta-power.
Driving with a garman for accurate speedo (cable broke last week).
Behind someone going 56 MPH in the left lane when an opening to pass on the right came available.
Floored it as I pulled in the right lane looked down as I went in the left lane and was going 78 MPH.
This took place in about 3 seconds just before reaching the top, so all of it was up-hill.

Old August 1st, 2015, 07:35 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Why on earth would you want to make a 2.5 NA into a tdi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:22 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
HP is overrated when you have low range.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi