Maximum number of miles (on average) for an original v8 (gas) engine? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90
Maximum number of miles (on average) for an original v8 (gas) engine?

I have seen a lot of d-90s from the 80's that have had their engines replaced. Any opinions on how many miles (on average) one of the 80's gas v8s would go before needing replaced? This is considering it was well taken care of by previous owners.

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Unless someone has been keeping statistics on the approximate miles these have lasted before blowing, you'll only get opinions, and not necessarily concrete numbers.

Most of the engine replacements you have seen are most likely a result of switching out to a more desirable engine, rather than out of a necessity to replace. Check out bossman429's thread - engine was still running strong, but he wanted a "better" engine under the hood than the one that came stock.

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
At least 150,000 miles if they're looked after - regular oil changes etc. Cam lobes start to vanish. Less if the oil is neglected - dreaded black sludge & burned on carbon in the V8 gulley.
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
If you keep it cool and run synthetic with regular changes, a rover V8 will go for hundreds of thousands of miles.
*not legal advice*
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Keith Armstrong
I think there was something like 162k on the 3.5 before I sold the old sedan.

The engine was the only reliable part left on that car
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:07 PM
1995 SW #487/500
some people say o yeah I know this guy with a Range Rover its got like 300k on the bottom end, head gaskets and a water pump is all ive done other than "preventative maintenance". I drove a RRC this weekend with 223k its a tired gutless worn out cam but it doesnt over heat use oil and I put head gaskets in it years ago.

My classic with 130k is on its death bed and the Defender at 80k needs a head gasket. it all just depends on the day it was built
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
My Range Rover Classic was running strong right up to 192,000 miles when one of those stupid plastic radiator plugs blew out and caused an overheat that killed the head gasket - stupid owner didn't change the stupid plastic plug even when I knew they were a problem. If it hadn't overheated I'm sure it would have gone 250K with no issues. I changed oil every 3300 miles religiously to help prevent cam wear. It was on its third water pump at 190K

I met a guy in England that had over 350,000 miles on his original Range Rover engine - never had the heads off in all the years he'd been driving it (bought it new) - he'd had to replace a few water pumps and a cracked exhaust manifold but had done no other major engine work.
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Frank Battersby
95 D90
D=My dad has a DII with 320k (had since new) - valve job at 78k and that's it with the engine. My RRC v8 was feeling dead at 188k but still ran - getting a Tdi now. D90 has 71k and feels strong still.
'95 Soft Top
'89 Classic Tdi
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"
My 98' P38 had 210k when I pulled the motor, low oil pressure, leaks all over the place (still does). I was getting 13.5mpg town and 18.5 highway. I was the first to ever disassemble it when I pulled it. I still have 210k on the original trans (first service was 185k). My dad had it since new, head gaskets were still intact.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi
My 1979 RR went 312000 miles (indicated, really a bit more, as the speedo was out of order for a while) before I ever had the heads out. Yes, it was kinda weak. No, you could not park it in any kind of slope- the engine would not hold it, and you know how parking brakes are on those. But it ran, and more or less took me wherever I needed to go. I celebrated its 20th anniversary by tearing it open.

Edited to add: in the last few months, it was fun trying to accumulate the momentum needed to surmount some slopes- oh, I miss that truck.
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:26 PM
95 / Defender D90
117,000 on my V8. I have no frame of reference to know how it drove when new, but the truck got 16.7 mpg at 60-65 on my one road trip, and isn't doing that much worse around town. Starts easily, runs easily, the low oil pressure light comes on when its very warm and idling, turns off with a slight bump in revs.

Seems to be in good shape, its mechanical character reminds me of the farm trucks we had growing up. One of those is now 57 years old and running fine.
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
like anything, treat it right and it will last. Overheating, dirty oil, lugging it, these things are BAD. keeping the cooling system in check, keeping the oil clean and running it in its happy range.

Of course there are more modern powerplants out there, but a basic V8 like this can last, and be rebuilt to last again.

A lightweight, small V8.. - that was a great move for rover to buy up in 1966(?) .. its lasted well!!!

"Yeah, make sure its a flatbed...."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

engine, gas, original, v8